Is this Raid Config possible?

Blackstarr911

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015
So i built an awesome computer with awesome, top of the range, over priced components. Not relevent but hey i spent the money im gunna brag. ANYWAY. I have three hard drive slots in my case and i wanna put them to good use. I want the incoming data to be split into two cards (cards A & B) and then the third card (card C) to mirror the first two cards (A & B), is this possible?

I even built an awesome diagram in paint. http://i.imgur.com/lakZW5s.png

Solution
For the first 2 drives you can do raid 0. They will be faster but it will not backup the data. You can do a software raid and do raid 1 on the 3rd HDD for backup as long as it is twice the size. It may or may not help your performance any at all. If they all 3 are SSD's then it will but if any are HDDs it will run at the speed of the slowest drive. What drives and what motherboard are in question?
For the first 2 drives you can do raid 0. They will be faster but it will not backup the data. You can do a software raid and do raid 1 on the 3rd HDD for backup as long as it is twice the size. It may or may not help your performance any at all. If they all 3 are SSD's then it will but if any are HDDs it will run at the speed of the slowest drive. What drives and what motherboard are in question?

Solution
Are these three drives in addition to the system drive?
If so, what I would do is add a 1TB-2TB RAID1 pair using two of the slots, to use as your data drive. Put a 4TB drive in the third slot. Place weekly image backups of your system drive and of your data drive(s) on that.
If not, use one slot for your system drive, a 250GB or larger SSD. Place a RAID1 data pair in the other two slots. Use an external USB3.0 drive to run the backups.

If you have one system drive now, hopefully it is not a "Green" model, as they are the slowest drives, fit for use as data drives but not for OS and programs unless you enjoy waiting.
Once again, my answer depends on whether these three slots include your existing system drive, or are in addition to it, and you're just looking to add drives.