Question Is this ram 3000mhz stock.. or overlock? And can this CPU handle it?

pirvuandrey12

Reputable
May 11, 2016
First of all, my setup:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (GIGABYTE)
MOBO: ASUS TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING
Current RAM: some 8GB 2133mhz hyperx stick and some other 8GB GOODRAM 2400mhz stick

I'm having around 50-60 FPS in Far Cry 5 with high settings, and around 80-90 on very low settings, and all my components are used around 50%. The PC is brand new, except the RAM, I've ran benchmarks and everything is above average, so I'm thinking the RAM is too weak. (correct me if I'm wrong, I still don't exactly know what's causing my lag)
I'm looking to buy something like the G. SKILL DDR4 3200mhz 1x16, my local PC repair shop recommended me that one, and they said 3200mhz would be the stock speed but I have a few questions.
I know absolutely nothing about overclocking or XMP of any sort.

1. Is the memory 3200mhz stock, or do I have to overclock it to get to that frequency...?
  2. I've heard 2666mhz is the maximum stock frequency RAM that exists. Is that true?
  3. I've also heard that Ryzen 5 2600 only supports 2666mhz. Is that true?
  4. Is RAM overclocking safe? Should I do it? Is it even worth it, at least?
  5. If it's not worth it to overclock, what's the stock frequency of that RAM? Is there another RAM stick you'd recommend me?

Lutfij

Titan
Anything above DDR4-2133MHz is an overclock so to get to DDR4-3000MHz, you're overclocking the rams with aid from the integrated memory controller.

You will need to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard, then input the frequency, timings and voltage of the ram kit manually in BIOS after you drop the ram kit. Also, don't mix and match rams. Rather pick a kit and move forward.

pirvuandrey12

Reputable
May 11, 2016
Anything above DDR4-2133MHz is an overclock so to get to DDR4-3000MHz, you're overclocking the rams with aid from the integrated memory controller.

You will need to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard, then input the frequency, timings and voltage of the ram kit manually in BIOS after you drop the ram kit. Also, don't mix and match rams. Rather pick a kit and move forward.
I'm afraid of the BIOS update tbh cause I don't want my PC to shut off or something during the update.. I don't know how to proceed
Frequency, timings and voltage of the ram kit.. how do I know which ones are good and all?

And do you think my low performance in far cry 5 is related to this RAM thing, or would it be alright to keep the ones I have now?

bryanl

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Enabling XMP enables officially sanctioned overclocking.

If overclocking to XMP speeds was 100% trustworthy, then the actual makers of the RAM chips would have assigned higher speed ratings to them.

TRENDING THREADS