[SOLVED] Is this RAM compatible?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2720853

My board is a B550 Aorus Pro with a Ryzen 9 3900X.

Bought this not long ago: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B07Z86BMCQ, to replace my Corsair Vengeance LPX which is giving me issues.

However I couldn't find this specific memory (F4-3600C16D-32GVKC) on the motherboard's QVL list for Matisse CPUs. Will it still work?

Solution
QVL list contains those units which have been tested with the board by manufacturer. If a unit is not listed doesn't mean it wont work, its just not tested as its not possible to test every kit. That kit you have linked is very popular with 3xxx series processors and should work fine ideally. The only way to know however is by testing it.
QVL list contains those units which have been tested with the board by manufacturer. If a unit is not listed doesn't mean it wont work, its just not tested as its not possible to test every kit. That kit you have linked is very popular with 3xxx series processors and should work fine ideally. The only way to know however is by testing it.

Solution
Also I noticed that this kit is indicated as compatible with the whole line of B550 boards from MSI, Asus and Asrock, but not Gigabyte (not a single board) on the GSkill configurator. And when you search on their configurator for 2x16 Gb kits for your mobo they only indicate a whole bunch of 3200 MHz kits.
Not the foggiest idea of why.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Also I noticed that this kit is indicated as compatible with the whole line of B550 boards from MSI, Asus and Asrock, but not Gigabyte (not a single board) on the GSkill configurator. And when you search on their configurator for 2x16 Gb kits for your mobo they only indicate a whole bunch of 3200 MHz kits.
Not the foggiest idea of why.
That surely doesn't give me anxiety.

My board is a B550 Aorus Pro with a Ryzen 9 3900X.

Bought this not long ago: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B07Z86BMCQ, to replace my Corsair Vengeance LPX which is giving me issues.

However I couldn't find this specific memory (F4-3600C16D-32GVKC) on the motherboard's QVL list for Matisse CPUs. Will it still work?

It will work. There's no guarantee it will run at 3600 though as this is an overclock of the FSB and you might have to manually change the timings. (Rare but sometimes)

That said QVL list means the mfg tested the specific ram in question. According to GN, sometimes the mfg tunes sub-timings for that specific memory so it runs a TAD bit faster. (This was news to me when I heard it) That's one of the few advantages of QVL certified memory.

It will work. There's no guarantee it will run at 3600 though as this is an overclock of the FSB and you might have to manually change the timings. (Rare but sometimes)

That said QVL list means the mfg tested the specific ram in question. According to GN, sometimes the mfg tunes sub-timings for that specific memory so it runs a TAD bit faster. (This was news to me when I heard it) That's one of the few advantages of QVL certified memory.
My remark was no so much about the QVL for the mobo, it was because the entire line of Gigabyte B550 motherboards was limited to a maximal speed of 3200 MHz on the GSkill integrator, when all other brands were noted as compatible with 3600 MHz.
Has anybody any clue why ? This can not be just an oversight by Gskill ?

My remark was no so much about the QVL for the mobo, it was because the entire line of Gigabyte B550 motherboards was limited to a maximal speed of 3200 MHz on the GSkill integrator, when all other brands were noted as compatible with 3600 MHz.
Has anybody any clue why ? This can not be just an oversight by Gskill ?

As I stated, Matisse (Zen 2/Ryzen 3000 series) FSB runs at 3200MHz. Anything faster than that is overclocking, and therefore is not guaranteed. What Gigabyte is listing is official spec.

As I stated, Matisse (Zen 2/Ryzen 3000 series) FSB runs at 3200MHz. Anything faster than that is overclocking, and therefore is not guaranteed. What Gigabyte is listing is official spec.
OK. I say again: this is not Gigabyte who is listing this limitation; on their QVL they give 5200 Mhz(!) as the highest speed for this motherboard (B550 Aorus Pro ). This not the problem.
It is Gskill who says that their 3600 Mhz RAM is compatible with all B550 from Asus, Asrock and MSI; but not with a single Gigabyte board (3200 Mhz max)

OK. I say again: this is not Gigabyte who is listing this limitation; on their QVL they give 5200 Mhz(!) as the highest speed for this motherboard (B550 Aorus Pro ). This not the problem.
It is Gskill who says that their 3600 Mhz RAM is compatible with all B550 from Asus, Asrock and MSI; but not with a single Gigabyte board (3200 Mhz max)

OK, I'll say again, if it's not on the QVL there is no guarantee ever. It doesn't matter the brand of RAM. But you should have no issues. It does not mean it won't overclock, but the vendor is free and clear if it doesn't work.

It also works the other way around. G.Skill might NOT have tested their RAM with a gigabyte board. Doesn't mean it won't work. Just that it hasn't been tested.

That said, G.Skill makes some of the most reliable RAM out there. You SHOULDN'T have issues.

You are thinking too much into it. Its not like its going destroy the board or something. Just shove it in and 95% chance it should be working fine. In the odd scenario that it doesnt, just replace it.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
D

Deleted member 2720853

Last update on this: RAM was automatically set on XMP profile on first boot, all timings correct, stability test successful, lower latencies and faster Infinity Fabric clock resulting in fully unlocked Zen 2 potential. This RAM kit works perfectly fine with this board.