Is this really possible or.......

Madhatter4

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2005
About a week ago I doubled my ram from 1gig to 2gigs. Now it seems like my PC boots up faster, my apps launch quicker, web pages come up instantly and games run smoother.... Is this due to increasing my memory or am I just imagining things here???

About a week ago I doubled my ram from 1gig to 2gigs. Now it seems like my PC boots up faster, my apps launch quicker, web pages come up instantly and games run smoother.... Is this due to increasing my memory or am I just imagining things here???

Is this due to increasing my memory or am I just imagining things here???

Increasing system memory is not only one of the easiest upgrades, but one of the most effective ways to increase a system's performance. On the other hand, when you think you are are imagining things you may be higher than a giraffe's private parts as far as I know.

mationman

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I noticed the difference when I took out 512mb when I used post production software Combustion it crashed all the time put the ram back in all fine.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
The biggest difference you will notice is in games. When the game is loading maps/levels, It is putting all that data on the memory. If you don't have enough memory, when the memory you do have gets full, the loading will slow way down because the computer has to pick and choose what will go on the memory and what will be accessed from the Hard drive. If you memory is always full, then that will slow down your computer. Apparently, your computer was trying to use more memory than it had. Now that you have given it more than it requires, it can load everything it wants to on the memory and that is what is giving you your faster performance.

mtriples

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
You're probably imagining it.

There is no difference between 512, 1024 and 2048 MB in almost anything.

Right...that's why when I upgraded my old computer from 512 to 1024, it halved the boot times? (later disabling some startup crud through msconfig helped even more)

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007

Holy... Where do you get this from, the cartoons??? Then why not just settle for less? OF COURSE you benefit from more memory, period!

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

That's completely false and the biggest bs I've ever heard

I definitely noticed faster app load times when I moved from 1gb to 2gb, my fps nearly doubled (but that's mainly because the ram on my 6600gt is near nill and I have a weak card anyways), and my mem taxing software runs a lot faster too

Are u completely retarted??

In multi-tasking there is NO difference between 512MB and 1024MB in Windows XP.

If u use programs like Photoshop or high-end games then yes, there will be a difference, but otherwise u will only see a difference if ur so stupid that u fill ur computer up with so many background apps that it dosent run well in any case.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

Right...that's why when I upgraded my old computer from 512 to 1024, it halved the boot times? (later disabling some startup crud through msconfig helped even more)

Halved the boot times?

Now i know ur crazy.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

:?:

How? Please explain further.

Like Tacos and badge said, adding RAM is a fast way to improve general computing tasks. On my old PC, way back, I added 256mb of RAM, and games ran smoother, apps loaded faster, and I would have more windows open.

So yes, adding RAM makes a different, even in everyday computing.

Like i said, there is a pretty big difference between 256MB and 512MB, but if u add another 512MB u wont notice any difference.

Thats from my personal experience on about 5 PCs, and i have much more experience than any of u kids.

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006

Like Tacos and badge said, adding RAM is a fast way to improve general computing tasks. On my old PC, way back, I added 256mb of RAM, and games ran smoother, apps loaded faster, and I would have more windows open.

Like i said, there is a pretty big difference between 256MB and 512MB, but if u add another 512MB u wont notice any difference.

Thats from my personal experience on about 5 PCs, and i have much more experience than any of u kids.

haha you wish.. when i take 512 ram out of my PC it takes like 30% longer time to start up

Nope, sorry. You're off base on this one. There is a significant difference between running 512MB and 1024MB of RAM. Heck, I've got Excel spreadsheets and Access databases that locked up my crapper of a Dell work laptop when it only had 512MB of RAM, that stopped as soon as I plugged in another stick of 512MB to make a total of 1GB.

Take it from someone who has had experience building dozens of machines and maintained hundreds over the years. As already plainly stated, adding more RAM is the easiet form of upgrade for recognizing the quickest performance boost. But if you don't beleive the forums, here's a little quote from the first google search on "how to computer upgrades"...
Memory - RAM - Random Access Memory. RAM is by far the easiest and most productive of upgrades to do. RAM is your computer's short-term memory, which it uses to store the information that you are working on. Adding memory will improve the feel of both your applications and your operating system.

Enjoy!

xela

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007

I may be (and probably am) wrong, but if he had 1GB of RAM with 1 stick and put another one (same model) in so Dual Channel kicked in and boosted his memory brandwich.. wouldn't that increase general preformance, I know for a fact that when I run my memory in dual channel setup I can't help the feeling that everything loads up much, much faster...

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007

Who are you trying to fool here? Yourself (you succeeded!)? Or us (good luck)?

Its a little from column A and a little from column B. Your games will have to page file less so you WILL see a improvement(don't expect one on old games like half-life 1)

Apps can also launch quicker if they have been opened once windows will cache them in memory, now that you have enough you will notice a speed increase on opening it again.

I can not see it booting windows faster or surfing the web faster. But hey if it feels like it it, IT IS :)

maybe you hit dual channel now?

cwj717

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
I doubt theres much of a difference... when I upgraded my systems ram from 1gig to 2gigs there was no noticeable difference in performance even in oblivion and fear (about 1-2FPS difference). Besides, it sounds to me like your describing pure disk performance.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
In another thread you are talking about buying 2gb of ram and asking which model's you should get. Why then is it that you dont get yourself 1gb or 512mb of memory to save yourself some money if there is no difference? Explain. Oh, and I have more than 5 systems (6 to be exact, excluding laptops) in this room I am in, and it is just an extra room at my lake house. What is it that makes you better than US kids?!?

Best,

3Ball

cwj717

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006

This is only true if your applications need the extra ram... after a certain point adding ram doesn't improve performance much. It really depends on the applications that are being run. If your only running Windows and Firefox, you won't get any benefit from going from 1 to 2gigs of ram. I have a Core2 E4300 with 512megs of ram and Xeon 5120 with 2048megs with me right now and there really is no difference in system responsiveness as far as I can tell.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006

That's completely false and the biggest bs I've ever heard

I definitely noticed faster app load times when I moved from 1gb to 2gb, my fps nearly doubled (but that's mainly because the ram on my 6600gt is near nill and I have a weak card anyways), and my mem taxing software runs a lot faster too

to op: You aren't just immagining it, ram makes more of a difference than people realize, plus it's the easiest way to give an old pc new life

No kidding :lol: track is a little off track and on crack :lol: