Is This Rig OK for 12months?

JFromNazareth

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2005
Hello.
This is my 1st post so dont jump on me right away,lol.
I own old PC(P3) and need 2 build new,but trick im gonna upgrade it when Presller is out.

Im working true Internet,dont wanna play games on this 1,
so here the comp. i figured out-correct me(if u can)pls:

Case Thermaltake Kandalf
PSU Thermaltake Silent680W
Proc. AMD64 3000(0.09nm)-will be upg. with Presller.
Mob. GIGABYTE GA-K8NS 939-will be upg.,when ATI vers.of SLI is out

Mem. TWINMOS SPEED PREMIUM 512MB 400MHZ-uprg. 2 DDR2
HD WD 74/10000 RAPTOR SATA
GCard ??????????-wanna get ATI vers of SLI,when out
CDRW Lite-On 52x32x52
DVD-RW NEC ND-3520A Dual Layer DVD±R/W/DL 16X BLACK
Monitor SAMSUNG SyncMaster 913N
So im gonna upgrade this with Presller CPU,Mobo,DDR2,new GPU and ofcause monitor
Prob. that i need good stable PC now,any sugestions
Regards.

1. What is 'Presller"?
dont wanna play games on this 1

Then why do you want SLI? SLI is for gaming enthusiansts. When ATI's version of 'sli' comes out, it may not bne compatablie with current SLI motherboards

TWINMOS SPEED PREMIUM 512MB 400MHZ-uprg. 2 DDR2

AMD does not support DDR2, with good reason.

4. If you're not gaming, why do you want the Raptor harddrive? Do you really need that extra speed, becuase it comes at a price premium.

I doubt you have really researched the hardware, its performance, and its compatiblity.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
1) Why do you want to upgrade to presler, specifically?
2) you say you don't want to play games, yet you're interested in SLI-type graphics solutions?

I'm a bit confused there.

another thing:
Mem. TWINMOS SPEED PREMIUM 512MB 400MHZ-uprg. 2 DDR2
no AMD platform currently supports DDR2. I haven't looked into what you've picked here, but if that's not a typo then that RAM's useless for you. If you want to start with A64 now, then move to Intel, you'll need to replace the RAM when you switch. Also, are you saying you'll get 512Mb total, or 2x512 for a total of 1Gb. I would suggest at least 1Gb if you're already spending all this cash on parts.

That rig will still be fine in 12 months' time. Even better if you threw in a 3500+ or something.

Nobody has any idea what Intel's 65nm process will be like, so why the hell would you plan to build with it now? presumably it won't be as awful as prescott, but that doesn't mean it'll be better than the equivalent AMD at the time.

SLI (and Ati's versions probably) is not really worth the extra cost, IMO.

---
A64 3200+ Winchester @ 258x10=2580Mhz, ~1.52 Vcore
1Gb RAM, running at various strange speeds... :lol:
Voltmodded Sapphire 9800Pro @ 450/350 w/ modded VGA silencer 3.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i think he just collected a bunch of buzz words from some lame pc magazine from the checkout stand and wants to buy a computer with all of them to impress people.

this is my boomstick!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
1. What is 'Presller"?
With a bit of creative licence (i.e. trying a few different spellings.) I found this:
<A HREF="http://endian.net/details.asp?ItemNo=4050" target="_new">http://endian.net/details.asp?ItemNo=4050</A>basically, it's a dual-core 65nm chip with 2x2Mb of cache, allegedly. It's little more than a rumour at the mo it would seem.

---
Voltmodded Sapphire 9800Pro @ 450/350 w/ modded VGA silencer 3.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChipDeath on 03/02/05 04:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Anyone still shuffling along with a P3 and still willing to wait for months for an upgrade is beyond the help of mortal men!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

JFromNazareth

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2005
OK,then
TY for creative replice

1st-I own another PC for gaming stricly.
2nd-I wanna uprg.this for gaming later(as posted when ATI SLI vers.is out)cause i think for ATI SLI u will need 2 get special MOBO and then-better mem(i only plan2x512Mb-DDR for now).
About Presller-i think is Intels dual core 2Mb each core porc. out in 1stQ2006.

3rd (for jihiggs)-chainge your boomstick
4 -sry this is gonna be new rig,that i can upgr. when all this parts is out,that why i ask u -"is it ok for 12months"

5th-thank u for your attention 2 my "shuffling"

I got nice rig allready(F55-and so on).

What i meant 2 say is-Im gonna trow away al staff exept case,PSU,HD and media drivers and trow in new parts,when they out.

So what u think?

Thank you for replice.Regards.

are you typing this in your native language, then using a translator to make an English version by anychance? :lol:

G

Is there actually a translator program with such terrible syntax? I just assumed the guy was trying his best to type in English.

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

Not really. An application, to take advantage of dual core, must be coded to be multithreaded. Games are not.

Perhaps in the future (+3-5 years I'd say) we might see developers make multithreaded games. But by then, your PC would be too slow.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I doubt you'd notice any difference at all.

The silly money you'd need to spend for a FX-57 would be far better spent on whatever the top graphics card is at the time (for gaming)

That'll give a much bigger increase in gaming performance.

---
Voltmodded Sapphire 9800Pro @ 450/350 w/ modded VGA silencer 3.

G

Lol :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

TRENDING THREADS