[SOLVED] Is This Right Way To Test If Brand New PSU Is Working ??

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
hi,

just got a brand new PSU (ordered online).......i connected the PSU to the wall ac outlet (using PSU's ac cord).......connected the SATA's modular power cable to an old DVD-Writer (to see if there's a cd inside).........switched on power at the wall....then the PSU.......but PSU fan not spinning (PSU on/off Eco mode)........DVD-Writer no response.......

i've always had some bad luck with electronics......don't tell me the PSU is a dud ??😢

Solution
no point at all since i can't get it to open the tray of my DVD-Writer.......so i didn't do the paperclip test

PSUs don't "turn on" by just flipping the switch. They have to be "told" to turn on by the motherboard. That's why the paperclip works. You're shorting the power on wire to ground which "tells" the PSU to turn on.
The PSU needs some load on it for it to power up. 'Typical minimum load is 2 to 4% of rated output current for the voltage supply line used for feedback. " I'm not sure whether that is on each voltage rail or overall but I suspect you haven't reached that minimum with only a DVD-Writer plugged in. Try connecting to the motherboard. That should put a load on the +12V, +5V, and +3,3V rails.

You can use the paperclip method noted above but I'm not sure how reliable it is. I've had problems with it before.

Last edited:
Reactions: AntonyLovric
hi,

just got a brand new PSU (ordered online).......i connected the PSU to the wall ac outlet (using PSU's ac cord).......connected the SATA's modular power cable to an old DVD-Writer (to see if there's a cd inside).........switched on power at the wall....then the PSU.......but PSU fan not spinning (PSU on/off Eco mode)........DVD-Writer no response.......

i've always had some bad luck with electronics......don't tell me the PSU is a dud ??😢
What make and model PSU?
Why testing a brand new PSU. You don't trust it? You bought a Tier E?

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
See here (you haven't actually powered the PSU on yet):

https://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/QA/PSU/PSU-Paper Clip-EN.pdf

oh yeah......i've read about the paperclip test.......many thanks......

'Typical minimum load is 2 to 4% of rated output current for the voltage supply line used for feedback. " I'm not sure that is one each voltage rail or overall but I suspect you haven't reached that minimum with only a DVD-Writer plugged in. Try connecting to the motherboard. That should put a load on the +12V, +5V, and +3,3V rails.

You can use the paperclip method noted above but I'm not sure how reliable it is. I've had problems with it before.

many thanks......i have to try the paperclip test......i only have the PSU at the moment........no other parts

What make and model PSU?
Why testing a brand new PSU. You don't trust it? You bought a Tier E?

i got a Super Flower Leadex III Gold........but it was ordered online.......perhaps the delivery guy dropped it ?

TRENDING THREADS