Is this right?

Just saw a blurb over at hardocp.com about the 939 pin A64's.It was taken from
AMD's website. It said that the A64 939 3000+ will run at 1.8ghz and the
3200+@2.0ghz. Well,my 754 2800+ runs at 1.8ghz(1.95 OC). So,I figured maybe the
3000+ would have a larger cache. Nope.it's gonna be 512.Wtf?These product
numbers are getting ridiculous!!

YanquiDawg wrote:
> Just saw a blurb over at hardocp.com about the 939 pin A64's.It was
> taken from AMD's website. It said that the A64 939 3000+ will run at
> 1.8ghz and the 3200+@2.0ghz. Well,my 754 2800+ runs at 1.8ghz(1.95
> OC). So,I figured maybe the 3000+ would have a larger cache.
> Nope.it's gonna be 512.Wtf?These product numbers are getting
> ridiculous!!

This is because it's dual-channel instead of single-channel. AMD's ratings
(and most real-world tests in previous S754 vs S939 tests) indicate the
extra memory channel is worth the extra 200 rating points (give or take a
bit depending on the test).

--
Michael Brown

"Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote
> This is because it's dual-channel instead of single-channel. AMD's ratings
> (and most real-world tests in previous S754 vs S939 tests) indicate the
> extra memory channel is worth the extra 200 rating points (give or take a
> bit depending on the test).

Can a-64's run in single channel, or must you have matched pair?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Ed Light wrote:
> "Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote
>> This is because it's dual-channel instead of single-channel. AMD's
>> ratings (and most real-world tests in previous S754 vs S939 tests)
>> indicate the extra memory channel is worth the extra 200 rating
>> points (give or take a bit depending on the test).
>
> Can a-64's run in single channel, or must you have matched pair?

A S754 obviously has to run in single channel mode, but I *think* S940/S939
chips can run in either single or dual channel modes, but the latter case
only if you have an even number of sticks of RAM. So if you have 1 or 3
sticks you'll run in single-channel mode, and if you've got 2 or 4 sticks
you'll run in dual-channel mode. But I'm far from sure about this :) I'm
pretty sure you can run unmatched pairs as per usual (ie: it will work but
will run at the slower speed of the two).

--
Michael Brown