[SOLVED] Is this router good for Occulus Quest 2 ?

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi
my need,
i have win 10
i will only use wifi in one room close to me , i live alone.
i plan to use a vpn service so it has to have a technology that makes it fast ( regular router on wich we add vpn service are slow from this article VPN Routers - The Ultimate Guide | Restore Privacy )
i dont want the best thing i prefer best bang for buck.
my internet speed is actually 15 download and 10 upload. (i hope it is enought)
any suggestion ?

it is a question for informed people cause it seem when you use a vpn if you dont buy a router made for that the speed will be slow . any geek could find me some
i also read that somewhere wich tells me probably it would be better to have a oriented vpn rather than expensive wifi 6-- If you already have a 5g router no need to upgrade just for the Quest2. People who have tested Wifi6 with Quest2 report no benefit compared to 5g. Existing applications don't yet use enough bandwidth to exploit the benefit of Wifi 6.

does this on have enough under the hood ? cause it is cheap and vpn written in title..
CAUTION, ONE IS written server vpn and the other only vpn what does that change?
i dont think i have a server,just a normal pc , i m not even sure what is server is but it would be a pity to order it and realise i is not compatible with a normal(non server) pc... light me mister and other knowledgeable geek plz :)

TP-Link AC1900 Smart WiFi Router - High Speed MU- MIMO Router, Dual Band, Gigabit, VPN Server, Beamforming, Smart Connect (Archer A9)
----------
or this one , how do they compare???

-------------------------
ASUS RT-AC1200GE AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router, Parental Control, MU-MIMO, 4 x Gigabit LAN ports, VPN,

Solution
That is why wifi uses standard so everything is compatible.
I have not played with wireguard enough to say. When I was messing with it there were not a lot of providers that supported it and what I use is stable so I have not looked lately.

Asus tends to take the best features from merlin eventually, they work very closely with merlin which is why people like the merlin images. I have not looked at the main firmware to see how similar it is. The merlin image is very stable.

A number of routers will accept small vpn configuration files. All you do it is get the file from the vpn provider site (not all provide it) and put it into the router. Other than setting your userid and and password it will just work. Most larger...
There are 2 different issues kinda not related.

The occulus can be technically used without a internet connection so the speed of the router and the speed of the vpn mean nothing. All that matters is the wifi speed between the router and the occulus.

I am not 100% sure what the exactly the occulus supports, it supports very uncommon stuff like 802.11ay. What I do know is like most things that use cell phone chipset it only supports 80mhz wifi6. One of the key advantages is 160mhz radio bands on wifi6. Without this it tends to be about the same as wifi5 (802.11ac) that also uses 80mhz channels. This is likely why you see people say there is little difference.

What I don't know is if you get any benefit to 3x3 mimo support or if it only supports 2x2. That is the key difference between the 2 routers you linked. My guess is it is 2x2 because most devices that use snapdragon chipset with wifi6 support are only 2x2.

So the second thing is the VPN. Not sure why you have this requirement it is independent of the occulus I think. That article you link is pretty good but only if you read and understand the whole thing. It is a very complex topic and they could have summarized it a bit better.

As they stated the vpn is extremely cpu intensive. I guess the "lucky?" thing is your internet connection is so slow. Many routers can get 20mbps running vpn. What is key is how fast the router clock rate is. VPN is also single thread so mulitcpu does not help. The feature that does help but is very rare is encryption acceleration. Mostly this in on asus routers and it runs best with the merlin firmware. The most cost effective wifi5 router with vpn acceleration is the rt-ac86u. This router can get over 200mbps of vpn. Note be very sure that the routers you are looking at have a VPN "CLIENT" feature, it is not as common as the server function. I have not read in detail the 2 you list, the asus one likely does since they run the same software image on almost all their routers.

The GLI.net brume is a good router for VPN performance. It can do up to 100mbps with OPENVPN and 280mbps with Wireguard. But the wifi version is terrible, small antennae, poor wifi power output. If you got the brume, you would need an access point to go with it, like they do in commercial installations.

I have the GLInet Beryl which I use for travel. It can do 21mbps with OpenVPN or 91mbps with Wireguard.

If you have an old desktop computer laying around with an x86 processor. Even a super old one. You can buy a $10 server ethernet card and use it as a router. Just install OpenWRT or DD-WRT on it. The x86 processor will run circles around an ARM router processor.

The issue is your download speed of 15mbps might not be enough for VR. This chart says you want at least 25mbps minimum. You may need to upgrade your internet. If you want to use a VPN at those higher speeds, you definitely need to build an X86 router for that.

VR-network-requirements-bandwidth-and-latency.png

What game are you trying to play. There are some that you can play offline but you ask about VPN which means your internet connection is going to affect it. Some games need a lot more bandwidth than others. Mostly it is things like online VR chat things that require huge bandwidth.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi yes ill up my connection when ready but i need to find a decent router before.
of course when i talk about using oculus i dont talk about off line .
i talk about the games online .
I will use a vpn to connect to the net and benotloved facebook so ineed a router that is made to work fast with vpn. asus are said to be good but i dont know that stuff. some router seem to have special feature to make vpn faster (less slower)

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
What game are you trying to play. There are some that you can play offline but you ask about VPN which means your internet connection is going to affect it. Some games need a lot more bandwidth than others. Mostly it is things like online VR chat things that require huge bandwidth.
ill use quest 2 wire less for online gaming, not off line offcourse.
what cheap vpn oriented would work well with this vr head set?
ill up my speed connection later now i search for a good bang for buck router vpn oriented that works well with occulus

Why do you need to use a vpn when you are forced to log into facebook to use that vr device. Facebook is one of the worst offenders of tracking and has a history of poor security. If you want privacy that is bad choice in vr.

I suspect you have a DSL connection since it is so slow. You are going to be very limited in your selection of routers that have a DSL modem. Pretty much any that have the vpn-client ability will be able to keep up with your speed. Many vpn services run on the router but I would look at the larger ones like pia or nord since they have very good instructions on setting up routers. It can be very messy to setup a vpn, there are lots of options and it is easier when a company gives you screen images to help.

Which vpn you choose depends why you want a vpn. VPN almost always makes performance slightly worse. Most people who are not using it for illegal activities are using it to get around geo restrictions. I know many games use it to play games in say korea or maybe russia both have games that try to prevent people from outside the area from playing.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
ok cool, that is what i hope . since my money is restricted i can only buy one,
may i ask if you say this out of experience? can i have a link to kind of proof it?
there where core dual core wifi 5 and 6 and other tech to choose even inside asus brand.

Normally I do not make a specific router recommendation......got burned when the idiot manufacture (tplink) change the internal chips but did not change the part number.

In this case purely because of the VPN I would look for asus RT_AC86U. It is getting harder to get, be very careful the "68" and "86" models are not the same. You can also look at the wifi6 version RT-AX86u but it also seems to be quite expensive and hard to get.

What makes these routers different is they run at very high CPU clock rates. They also have a CPU that support VPN encryption acceleration. Unlike most other routers they can do 200mbps vpn, other are limited to about 30.

The factory firmware now supports the VPN accelerator but I would still load the merlin image it is much easier to setup VPN.

Number of CPU cores makes little difference on a router. Things like VPN encryption can only use 1 core. This is true for many other network function in a router. So a 4 core device will not be faster than as a 2 or 1 core. Now if you are running NAS servers or something it might help.

NOTE all this is not related to wifi performance. Wifi runs of separate CPU/radio chips. Almost all the function related to wifi are contained in these chips. Pretty much any router with a similar "number" will perform the same. You will many times find exactly the same wifi radio chipset in many brands or routers.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
tx for the usefull info it has 2 core by the way did you notice would you know what amazon seems to call it
Routeur ASUS Gigabit double bande RT-AC87U Wireless-AC2400, AiProtection avec Trend Micro pour une sécurité réseau complète

at the moment i have a
ASUS RT-N12
that would not do it right?

what if i want a model a bit less expensive than the RT_AC86U? wich would you recommend?

here they say : There are multiple versions of the RT-AC86U and if you’re buying a router for this purpose, only the newer versions of the router have the new CPU with hardware acceleration. The best way to find the version of the RT-AC86U that has the feature is to make sure that the one you are looking to buy has the “AC2900” feature.

but on amazon they call it both 2400 and 2900 what to think about it ?

That is a very good article on the vpn acceleration stuff even though it is old I have not found anything newer. You can't actually buy the older version of the 86u anymore unless you buy used.

They pretty much list the routers that support the vpn acceleration. I know the outrageously expensive AXE11000 wifi6"e" router has this processor but I have not seen it on the merlin support and it is unclear if the factory firmware uses the acceleration feature even though it uses the same processor. I have been looking to see if there any newer router cpu with the encryption options but so far I have not found any.

The rt-ac87u has

Broadcom BCM4709A0 (1 GHz, 2 cores)

The 86u has 1.8 clock rate as well as the vpn acclerator.

There are many submodels of the rt-n12. The cpu have clock rates between 300-600.

Your first thing is to be sure you can load a asus image that has the vpn-client. You will have to dig around asus site. It is all going to depend on if it will fit in the flash memory of the router. Asus routers use a single image so if you can get new enough firmware it will have the vpn client.

In any case the VPN speed is very closely tied to the clock rates. Most routers get between 30-40mbit/s I bet your rt-n12 will not get that much. Other routers that use a processor clocked at 1.8 get about 60-70. The VPN acceleration feature is huge it almost triples the speed.

Your other option is to use a small pc since most intel and amd have the AES acceleration instructions. Problem is this tends to be more expensive since you still need some kind of device like a AP to provide the wifi.

The only other though I have is you could look at wireguard. Most vpn uses openvpn but many are starting to support wiregaurd. It is said wireguard is more than 2 times as fast as open vpn on routers. Problem is you have to find a router that support dd-wrt and a vpn provider that support wireguard. I was messing with it and never really finished, dd-wrt can be such a pain.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Where do you see that the 87 has 2core 1gh?
i wonder if 87 is a typo error cause on amazon they write 87 (and 2400 ac)
but in its description we see 86u and (2900ac) it is confusing.
on asus they say other things which to beleive
they say WTFast game accelerator for the 86 but is that a vpn accelerator? i dont know?

sabai has options but im not sure what is the difference between their vpn router and vpn accelerator...

i read that the speed needed for good quest2 xp is 866 here
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/kz2nbe/minimum_mbps_needed_for_flawless_quest_2_wireless/

and when iread that : https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac86u-no-connection-with-pia-vpn.71518/
speed seems to top at 100 mbp wich makes me ask if it is even possible to use quest2 through vpn unless i miss something. also they say this thing i dont understand:
Keep in mind that it is normal to have drastically reduced speeds running OPenVPN from a router. PIA recommends against it. Without it my download speed is around 230mbps even through PIA. Through OpenVPN on the router it's 20mbps. Depending on your needs, this may be OK.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
i read
immersive experiences with 360° video applications require a lot of data. A low resolution 360° experience – which is available with most VR head-mounted displays – requires at least 25Mbit/s for streaming. For resolutions comparable to HD TV the requirement jumps to 80-100Mbit/s. However, if you want the best “retinal” 360° video experience (as you get watching a 4k TV), as much as 600Mbit/s is required.

which seems more reasonable because i really dont need 4k
Do you think aiming at 100 mbsps is reallistic with the 86 u?
https://www.blog.adva.com/en/virtual-reality-check-are-our-networks-ready-for-vr
and pia supports wireguard . does that opens need choices?
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/vpn-features/wireguard

I have not played a lot with vr stuff. The only ones I used the game console generated all the traffic and it only went between the console and the headset and didn't really use the internet. It was a single player games so it did not really need anything from the internet.

I can't believe a vendor would sell a product that requires customers to have 600mbps internet connections. Many people are still limited to 50-100mbps or maybe even less. That cuts their customer base a lot.

The 86u easily can get 100mbps, I have one and most times it gets 150mbps. I have gotten higher but it seems to also be related to the vpn provider capacity.

I have lost my link to the router database site I like. The one I got the data off is

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Main_Page

There was a similar site name that closed and move the data to another site (which I have forgotten). About 3 mouths later this site in russia appeared. It seems ok but I find the other site has more recent data.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
usefull tx . it seems to do the trick. should i use it wireguard or not worth it?
only merlin what setting do you suggest?
what else do i have to check to avoid buying it and then realising it wont work with quest2?

That is why wifi uses standard so everything is compatible.
I have not played with wireguard enough to say. When I was messing with it there were not a lot of providers that supported it and what I use is stable so I have not looked lately.

Asus tends to take the best features from merlin eventually, they work very closely with merlin which is why people like the merlin images. I have not looked at the main firmware to see how similar it is. The merlin image is very stable.

A number of routers will accept small vpn configuration files. All you do it is get the file from the vpn provider site (not all provide it) and put it into the router. Other than setting your userid and and password it will just work. Most larger vpn providers have screen images showing the setting for most popular routers.

Solution