Is this Router suitable for guest wifi network at a small restaurant/cafe?

May 26, 2018
I've been wracling my brain trying to figure out the best say to set up guest wifi at my parents cafe, and it seems I've bitten off more than I thought I could chew here.

I've been looking around for routers to use in the dining area as an AP, which will broadcast a seperate ssid from the the network for business off the modem in the office.

The best option I've come across at a non-expensive price is the TP-Link ARCHER C50 V3 AC1200:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-ARCHER-C50-V3-Wireless/dp/B075PDLQ2Y

It includes its own guest network function with options to change the network easily from our phones (so if we wanted to change the daily password it wouldnt be too hard)

Im just concerned that this might not be able to support enough devices at the same time. I imagine that theyll be around a maximum of 20 devices connected at one time.

I know theres more expensive, safer options out there, but this is just an idea im experimenting with atm for my parents sake as they haven't the foggiest when it comes to tech.

Would love to hear some thoughts and suggestions! Thanks guys.

Solution

A separate SSID is good, but unless there is a VLAN infrastructure to back it up, then all traffic is mixed on the LAN and the business devices are accessible to the guests. Spend some money and get some safety for the business or don't have guest access.

kanewolf

Titan
What you want is a business quality router, that can have multiple LANs setup and segregated. The business should not have any hardware in common with the guests except the gateway to the internet. A ubiquiti Edgerouter lite and Ubiquiti access points is the way to go. You want the guests to have NO way to break into the business network or see the business network traffic. Don't think that home equipment is appropriate. This is a money making enterprise, protect it like one.

He's trying to save some money, which I understand.
Use Ubiquiti UAP first, set up the basics on that. The reason to use Ubiquiti is they update their stuff regularly. How many times over the past week have you seen peoples equipment vulnerable to hacks and then they don't update it. Ubiquiti are a quality product and update regularly.
Start with UAP and go from there. You don't really need much technical know-how to get it working.

kanewolf

Titan

A separate SSID is good, but unless there is a VLAN infrastructure to back it up, then all traffic is mixed on the LAN and the business devices are accessible to the guests. Spend some money and get some safety for the business or don't have guest access.

Solution
The Ubiquiti stuff is the way to go.
It's a great price for the features it has.
You need their router or switch and the access point.
You can get away with the router since you don't need a lot of ports for trunking.

You need VLANs and trunking to get two subnets on one AP.
The edgerouter has guest isolation which is also crucial for any public network. This separates guests from each other using the firewall.

If you don't need the AP to broadcast both subnets then your options are much larger. You will still need a business class router in order to have VLANs and guest isolation. The AP won't matter as much since it's just one subnet. I'd still recommend the unifi APs.