Question Is this RYZEN CPU Burned out?

Nov 7, 2019
So, a client of mine send me this. And it says that it doesnt work.

20191106-202127-1.jpg

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
and?... hehe... Kind of hard to answer any question Id think just looking at a picture of the pins of a CPU. . have you put it in a board and tested to see if it works? id think that's the only way to know .. but then I'm no computer engineer or nothing. but I doubt anyone could answer a question by just looking a CPU, clearly you will need some way to test if it works or not

Nov 7, 2019
My client says that the processor doesnt work at all. It doesnt let the system do anything (CPU) I ask, because there is something wrong at the bottom of the picture. If you look closely there is thermal compound near the pins And it seems that some of it reached them. Also im sorry if i cant explain well, my english is not perfect yet. Here is another picture with a remarked area

20191106-202543.jpg

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I did notice that myself, does look like corrosion of sorts.. but I still think youll need a board to test it I think. theer could be many reasons his board isn't working besides the CPU. and most thermal compound do not conduct electricity. so unless hes used something like liquid metal or one that does conduct electricity it wouldn't matter if it was all over the board

Nov 7, 2019
id be asking client a few things.. 1 did it ever work?.. 2 what was he doing when it failed? is his Motherboard Bios uopdated or corrupt maybe? many things could cause a PC not to boot besides the CPU

I'll Have this questions in mind, anyways i will need to get the processor back in any case to test it myself. The motherboard BIOS was fine and it was working, since it was an Asus a320M-K Prime that needed an update to boot Ryzen 2nd Gen.

Last edited:

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
maybe the bios rolled back somehow, became corrupt and maybe that's why its not booting the CPU?
has he tried reflashing Bios with new version .. resetting Bios etc. (of course resetting would require an update after)

Nov 7, 2019
I mean, my client says that it doesnt even go on. the motherboard emits light like its getting energy. But once she hits the power button it does nothing.

Last edited:
I mean, my client says that it doesnt even go on. the motherboard emits light like its getting energy. But once she hits the power button it does nothing.
Unless another CPU in the same motherboard is working now since removing the suspected faulty CPU, I'd be more inclined to believe the motherboard or the PSU are the problem. It's possible the person destroyed the CPU, but more likely something failed on the motherboard. I would inspect both sides of the motherboard for burns or discolorations near the VRMs.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
without installing that CPU into a board you know 100% works, you wont be able to tell (I dont think) if its the CPU or something else.. there could be tones of reasons a PC isn't starting ideally having the whole machine to work on would be best, but if all you have is that CPU, I think the only way to rule it out is to install it on a working board.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
and if the Motherboard does need a updated BIOS to run that CPU.. it could be possible that the battery for the CMOS had died (they do over time ) . and maybe due to power failure the Bios reset back to original? (not sure if that can happen though.. but seems plausible)

Nov 7, 2019
I believe that once you update the bios can return to default settings but not to original state (Version) Sadly, dor the moment, i dont have the CPU the motherboard or the memory sticks since my client didnt ship it back yet. Once i have the parts to test it i will know what has the problem.

In any case, my doubts were about the CPU in particular because ive never seen one like that.

Nov 7, 2019
Well, i received the CPU and its physically damaged because of a hit. Also it has 2 pins bended. So now you know how it looks when someone hits the CPU and breaks it.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
well, bent pins back is easy, i had to do it recently and is not that hard to do

the chipped part on the bottom, doesn't mean the cpu doesn't work, some pins control ram, others control voltage, others do nothing

bend the pins back in position, try it on a motherboard you know is working, give it a try

i have seen cpus that after falling lost pins completely, resolder those pins was fun, and doable

the worst thing you can discover is that is dead, and the client will need a new cpu and also stop dropping expensive important pc parts