Is this safe for my graphics card?

uberinferno

Prominent
May 21, 2017
GTX PH-1060 3G ASUS

Decided to go balls to the wall with my gpu, applying 200 mhz oc with 100% voltage, I dont mind running 100% fan speed, I even moved my case fan next to the gpu so it provides fresh air. I hit max 60C that way (80+ without).

On the internet I found that voltage is pretty dangerous for components, and my gpu hits 1093 during voltage increase in msi afterburner (100%). Is that harmful? Or am I safe. What are the consequences?

Increasing the voltage increases somewhere 50-80 mhz on top of applied oc.
Out of box it hits somewhere 1820 - 1840 not sure.

Main question, if you have low temps but voltage balls to the wall, still dangerous? or is it the temps you should only worry about?

How long could the gpu last before dying (if voltage is dangerous)? (considering i applied the clocks just yesterday and i have it for 3 months newly bought)
all help appreciated

https://imgur.com/a/nkSxb6V (screenshots of msi afterburner)
At higher temps of 1093 mV it would throttle from 2073 to 2050 and stay constant 60-62C.

Solution
It isn't just about temps, its about the stress you put on components of the GPU when you OC. OCing pushes them to their max which also just reduces hardware life. It's just how it works.

Now good temps will help keep it alive longer, but OCing anything will reduce it's life. By how much? No one can tell, every piece of hardware is different. It could last for years without issue or die tomorrow. There is no way for us to tell you that.

As for safe voltages. I would go based on what max states on the manual for the temp and also do some benchmarks and compare it to other users benchmarks to see what voltages most users are sticking with and try to stay closer to safer levels.

uberinferno

Prominent
May 21, 2017

Well, yeah those things stay, but as i was following LTT and Jayz2cents, they both said voltage and temps kill. I'm not sure if they meant the temperature resulting the high voltage, or voltage itself aswell as temps.

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
As I understand it, the 10xx series cards are pretty well locked down voltage wise (unless you do an electrical shunt mod). I'd say it's damn near impossible to "overvolt" your graphics card through software utilities enough to cause any damage.

I've seen some reports of some of those software utilities that may LOOK like you're increasing voltage, but actually does nothing if you look at monitoring utilities...can't remember which one it was, but one of them was allowing users to set like +1200mhz on memory, but it was actually capping out far below that.

Normally yes, it is temp raise that kills OCing hardware fast. But its not always the case. The way capacitors work by charging and decharging, basically all components of the GPU are working in over time. That creates higher heat temps across the board. While your device is reporting decent temps, that is only temps of what you can see. There are other chips, capacitors etc... on the board that are not monitored and will have higher heat temps because of the OC, resulting in lower life spans.

Solution