Question is this safe?

Jul 19, 2019
Hi,

My MB was damaged by the GPU during transportation, at the PCI/e slot. Computer is still running but I wonder if it is safe to use , or in the long terme, it could be an issue. Also , could it affect performance?
showing the damage

Thx in advance and have a good day.

Jul 19, 2019
Thx for the answer!
Yes it works, for now at least, but does it have an effect on the perf? I worried about the dust going there with time, and I m not sure bending it back is a good option

Jul 19, 2019
What is exactly the functional purpose of this piece? Talking about the shroud, of course. Is it only structural or does it serve other goals?

Thank you all for your answers and have a great day

Externally earthing and structure, providing there's a connection somewhere it'll be fine. Structurally most of the weight should be taken by the mounting point at the rear of the case.
Internally structure to hold the connectors in place, they either are or are not in place, if it works then they are.

I think you are lucky it looks like a reinforced socket.

Jul 19, 2019
Externally earthing and structure, providing there's a connection somewhere it'll be fine. Structurally most of the weight should be taken by the mounting point at the rear of the case.
Internally structure to hold the connectors in place, they either are or are not in place, if it works then they are.

Thx you very much, sir!

Jul 19, 2019

Thx you very much, sir!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
It is structural as you put it. To make the slot sturdier and more resistant to pressure and seemed it kind of worked. I'd agree with 13thmonkey and say it's OK to use. The inside pins look aligned in one like and if they didn't make proper contact the card wouldn't work.

Whatever the pressure that did that to the metal plate could probably rip the lost off the board.

Although I've marked a bit here it looks like pressed/crooked inside plastic part of the slot?

106cw2g.png

Jul 19, 2019
It is structural as you put it. To make the slot sturdier and more resistant to pressure and seemed it kind of worked. I'd agree with 13thmonkey and say it's OK to use. The inside pins look aligned in one like and if they didn't make proper contact the card wouldn't work.

Whatever the pressure that did that to the metal plate could probably rip the lost off the board.

Although I've marked a bit here it looks like pressed/crooked inside plastic part of the slot?

106cw2g.png

Indeed, this is concerning, I don't know what this is. I might have to take the card out to look at it. But I don't remember any damage on the GPU connector side.