[SOLVED] Is this safe?

Solution
I was thinking that i could use it to power my gpu as i couldnt find dual sata to 6 pin in my area and the gpu doesnt seem to work on single sata connection

That is definately NOT safe.

One of the reasons why that kind of PCI-e adaptors requires two connectors, is to reduce the risk of overloading a single power connector, since a GPU can potetially draw a lot more power than a harddrive.

So if you split one connector into two, and then combine them again with a 2xSATA to 6-pin PCI-e, you'd enable the adaptor to draw all the power from just one connector, which could potetially overload the cable and make it melt due to heat generation by the high current running through the wires.

But even more importantly, it...
As CountMike alredy mentioned, it splits the power from 1xSATA power to 2xSATA power, so you can connect 2 drives to one of the SATA-power connectors on the cable comming from the power supply.

Or in other words, it enables you to power 2 drives from a single connector which would normally allow you to power only 1 drive.

The y-splitter cable doesn't actively do anything, it just adds an additional connector

EDIT:

When you are not sure what it is for, can I ask why you think you need it?
I'm just asking out of curiosity - I hope you don't mind.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020
I was thinking that i could use it to power my gpu as i couldnt find dual sata to 6 pin in my area and the gpu doesnt seem to work on single sata connection

GPUs require PCIE power connection (not sata power connection).
Generally, if PSU doesn't have appropriate connectors, it is not capable of powering hardware, that requires those connections.

Please list full technical specs of your pc. Include also model name of your psu (it's written on PSU label) or post photo of the label. You can upload images to imgur.com and post link.

Reactions: CountMike

That is definately NOT safe.

One of the reasons why that kind of PCI-e adaptors requires two connectors, is to reduce the risk of overloading a single power connector, since a GPU can potetially draw a lot more power than a harddrive.

So if you split one connector into two, and then combine them again with a 2xSATA to 6-pin PCI-e, you'd enable the adaptor to draw all the power from just one connector, which could potetially overload the cable and make it melt due to heat generation by the high current running through the wires.

But even more importantly, it is highly recommended that you NEVER use any kind of adaptor to power your graphics card.

As already mentioned by SkyNetRising above, If your power supply doesn't have the required connectors, it is an indication that the power supply is not sufficiently powerful, it is very old, or of very poor quality (or a combination of all three).

You don't need the right adaptor, you need the right power supply.

One that can supply adequate power to your system, and is of reasonable quality.

Cheap and poor quality power supplys can never be recommended, they can actually damage other components in your computer.. - when some people choose to use adaptors for such a poor quality power supply, that's when things can definately go very wrong quickly

Last edited:
Reactions: R2burkholder
Solution