[SOLVED] is this second pc worth the price?

May 22, 2021
so i found this used pc online and I'm not sure if its worth the price, I want any advice asap because if its good ill buy it tomorrow.

the specs are:

cpu: i5-4690k

gpu: gtx 760

motherboard: msi z87

8gb ram

the case is msi nightblade small factor

there is a 128gb ssd and 1tb hdd with it

it is being sold for £195

Solution
For basic use and relatively light gaming, it should be decent. I would be a little wary of only having 8GB of RAM for running newer more asset-heavy games though since swapping could take a toll on the SSD.
May 22, 2021
Depends what expectations you have and what it will be used for. It’s a good price for the components but it’s also fairly dated.
i just want to use it for normal use, and maybe play some games such as driving sims or rdr2, of course with my budget I'm expecting to play at low settings which isn't an issue for me

so adding more ram would help? is the cpu bad?
The cpu was good in its day. The 4690k was released in 2014 and was a refresh of the 4670k that had been released a year earlier. It is really a 7-8 year old cpu that is below modern entry level CPU’s. Adding 8gb RAM may help a little but there are things to consider. Adding RAM is not guaranteed to work as only RAM bought as a matched kit is guaranteed to work together. Also are all RAM slots already populated? Either way you may end up needing to replace rather than add RAM. At which point you are adding more money on obsolete hardware that you cannot reuse if you upgrade, DDR3 vs modern DDR4 which is soon to be replaced with DDR5 in the next year.

It is not bad for that money, I had a system with a 4670k and 8gb and upgraded to 16gb. While it served me well it was definitely showing it’s age 2 years ago before I upgraded it. If you manage expectations you may be happy but any game that needs a modern cpu with more than 4 threads is going to struggle.

Reactions: uneki