Is this set-up extremely insane?

LearninginProgress

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
My evil Free Agent external drive died(stuck spindle. Seems it is a common issue with Free agents :fou: ) while I was in the process of moving backed up information from it to a fresh new drive. The experience of losing a good chunk my data without any warning due to cheap parts being used has left me paranoid and in this state I came up with this.

Taking a 500GB, two 1TB drives of the same model and partitioning one of the TB into two 500GB drives. Use Partition A to mirror the 500GB drive while using Partition B to store files that have little value. Then sticking the other 1TB drive in an enclosure were I will be making image back ups of important things. Will this set-up work or am I doing something extremely strange?

As the name implies, I enjoy leaning more about things that interest me, so if anyone has better suggestions, let me know.
Also if it helps here is my storage info:
64GB Crucial SSD as boot
500 GB HDD
Two 1TB HDD

somdow

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

ahahah thats........LMAO yeah PARANOID.....and i understand!!! i TOO lost YEARS worth of work when i was moving down to where i live now. broke my manly heart and made me shed invisible tears lol.

as far as the partitionings, with 2 oneTB hdds, i dont think you need to go THAT deep. itll take a LONG time to fill up 1 tb hdd let alone two lol

i have a 90g ssd
600g hdd
500g hdd
a 250 for downloads
and a
1.5tb to back up ALL thats in the above drives lol.

after that data loss i promissed myself id NEVER loose info again...so i hear you.
matter of fact, later today im gonna go buy another 1.5 tb lol

good luck

LearninginProgress

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Thanks for the encouragement somdow and nice set-up by the way but it seems we missed each other somewhere :na: .. After reading my opening post, I notice that it just reads as a huge rambling, so I don't blame you or anyone for not understanding what I was trying to say. Let me clarify it now, while I'm not sleep deprived lol.

So I have one 500GB Seagate Barracuda in my system and two 1TB Hitachi DeskStars brand new in box. My initial plan before the death of my evil Free Agent was to instal both Hitachi's into my system in a RAID 1 set-up and using the Free Agent for image back ups. A simple set-up that would give me the benefit of mirroring and image back ups but now I am forced to change that. So I started thinking why not do the following:

Install just one Hitachi Deskstar into the system and partition it into two separate virtual drives of 500GB in size. Use virtual drive A to set-up RAID 1 with the 500GB Seagate Barracuda and just leave virtual drive B for storage of unimportant things. Then to finish it off, use the remaining 1TB Hitachi Deskstar as a back-up drive by sticking it in an enclosure I have lying around.

Would I run into problems by using one physical drive(Seagate) and one virtual drive(partition of Hatachi) in a RAID 1 set-up?