[SOLVED] is this still a good specs or i have to upgrade?

Krosszx

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
i have pretty old computer, the specs are:

Processor: Intel Core i5-9400F
Motherboard : MSI B365M PRO VDH
Socket: LGA 1151 V2
RAM : 16GB (2X8GB) 2666mhz
GPU: MSI MECH RX 5700
PSU: Corsair CX 550W 80 plus Bronze
Storage: 512GB M2, 2TB + 1TB Internal HDD

Is it worth it to upgrade? i dont like my pc anymore because it tends to give me a bit of a problem when gaming or working (i uses adobe program and do a bit of video rendering and learning blender).
for gaming i like to play heavily modded skyrim or fallout, and theres a new big title i would like to play in 2023.

for example: there's a bit of stuttering when gaming, amd gpu occasionally crash or glitching when i ran gpu intensive software or game or even watching/buffering couple of videos at the same time.
what do i upgrade first? budget is around $1000 maybe more if it needed.

Solution
1. PSU
Since PSU dictates what kind of GPU you can go for.

E.g RTX 4090 needs 1200W PSU, preferably one with ATX 3.0 standard. 1500/1600W PSU would be preferred.
RTX 4080/3090/3090 Ti needs 1000W PSU.
RTX 3080/3080 Ti/3070 needs 850W PSU.
RTX 3060 Ti/3060 needs 650W PSU.

All RTX 40-series GPUs need either PSU with ATX 3.0 standard, or adapter cable, where the end that goes to GPU, is the new 16-pin PCI-E connector.
All RTX 30-series GPUs need the semi-new 12-pin PCI-E connector (there are adapters for that).

And besides far higher capacity PSU, you'll also need good/great quality PSU. E.g Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RM/RMi/RMx/HX/HXi/AX/AXi.
Corsair CX you have, at best, is mediocre quality. More towards low quality PSU. Only...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
1. PSU
Since PSU dictates what kind of GPU you can go for.

E.g RTX 4090 needs 1200W PSU, preferably one with ATX 3.0 standard. 1500/1600W PSU would be preferred.
RTX 4080/3090/3090 Ti needs 1000W PSU.
RTX 3080/3080 Ti/3070 needs 850W PSU.
RTX 3060 Ti/3060 needs 650W PSU.

All RTX 40-series GPUs need either PSU with ATX 3.0 standard, or adapter cable, where the end that goes to GPU, is the new 16-pin PCI-E connector.
All RTX 30-series GPUs need the semi-new 12-pin PCI-E connector (there are adapters for that).

And besides far higher capacity PSU, you'll also need good/great quality PSU. E.g Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RM/RMi/RMx/HX/HXi/AX/AXi.
Corsair CX you have, at best, is mediocre quality. More towards low quality PSU. Only good for office PCs without any dedicated GPU.

2. GPU
RTX 3060 and up (newer) are worthwhile upgrades. And like i said, PSU dictates what GPU you can go for.

3. RAM
With blender and heavily modded Skyrim, you need lots of RAM. 32 GB minimum, while 64 GB is preferred.

4. CPU and MoBo
Blender also needs loads of CPU cores for final render. Here, you can look towards Ryzen 5, Ryzen 7 CPUs, with loads of cores. And also MoBo that goes alongside with Ryzen chip.

5. New PC case.
RTX 40-series GPUs are huge, in terms of dimensions, and you may need to buy new and far bigger PC case as well, where to house the RTX 40-series GPU, if you go with one. RTX 30-series are a bit smaller, but not by much.

-----

All-in-all, your budget isn't enough to get everything. What you can get, is new PSU and better GPU. But with GPU, you need to look it's dimensions, so that it fits your PC case. If it doesn't, allocate more money towards new PC case as well.

Oh, reason why i suggest Nvidia GPU is because their drivers are far more solid and better for games, without producing stutter/flicker issues, like your Radeon GPU is doing. Stutter/flicker can be due to something else as well, but usually it's GPU drivers issue.

Reactions: Krosszx
Solution

Krosszx

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
All-in-all, your budget isn't enough to get everything. What you can get, is new PSU and better GPU. But with GPU, you need to look it's dimensions, so that it fits your PC case. If it doesn't, allocate more money towards new PC case as well.

Oh, reason why i suggest Nvidia GPU is because their drivers are far more solid and better for games, without producing stutter/flicker issues, like your Radeon GPU is doing. Stutter/flicker can be due to something else as well, but usually it's GPU drivers issue.

Thank you for the detailed answer!

i do intend to upgrade everything to the max but i dont have all the money right now, i want to upgrade the most essential first then the rest can follow.

quick question, if im buying the gpu first isnt it bottlenecking the system? i dont think my 9400f can handle a rtx 30 series gpu.
i have phanteks p360a case, i think i can fit in an rtx 30 series, idk about 40 though.

Aug 25, 2022
I would do PSU (1200 Gold Rated for future proofing), Ryzen 5 or 7 and at the minimum 32gb ram (64gb preferred for Blender). Your GPU should be okay until you can upgrade to 3000 or 4000 series later down the line

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
quick question, if im buying the gpu first isnt it bottlenecking the system? i dont think my 9400f can handle a rtx 30 series gpu.

Yes, there can be bottleneck. But bottleneck as such, isn't that bad of a thing. It just maxes out one component (usually GPU, but can be CPU too), since the other component is far better.

If you were to go with better CPU-MoBo-RAM combo 1st, you'd also have bottleneck, whereby your old GPU is maxed out. So, doesn't matter, in terms of bottleneck, if you go with new CPU or GPU 1st. But going with new GPU (and PSU) 1st, builds a solid foundation where to lay following upgrades upon. Also, better GPU means better performance in games and faster GPU render times in blender. While going with better CPU 1st, would result better CPU render times in blender but gaming performance would remain same. (Since most games are GPU bound.)

i have phanteks p360a case, i think i can fit in an rtx 30 series, idk about 40 though.

Your PC case supports GPUs up to 400mm long, but with RTX 40-series, the issue is GPU width, especially when you get Nvidia FE card, which has it's power connector on top, thus increasing the GPU width even more. Still, your case has an option of vertical GPU mount (with bracket), which gives you nice options on how to mount the GPU.

https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-bronze-sf-650r14he-650w/p/1HU-024C-00017
Super Flower Leadex III Bronze PRO 650W 80+ Bronze Modular Power Supply $59.99 + $5 off w/ promo code GW4BXA8285, limited offer By Super Flower

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NTMRRTL
MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 $119.99

https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-12400f-core-i5-12th-gen/p/N82E16819118360
Intel Core i5-12400F $179.99 + $10 off w/ promo code GW4BXA8299, limited offer

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098D84SLF
Thermalright Assassin X 120 SE CPU Cooler $19.90

https://www.newegg.com/silicon-power-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820301459
Silicon Power DDR4 3200 32GB (2x16GB) CL16 $74.97

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1700891-REG/msi_g306tv2x8cl_geforce_rtx_3060_ti.html
MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 2X OCV1 8GB Graphics Card $449.99

Total: $889.93

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-B660M-A-DDR4

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...2400f-processor-18m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz.html

i5 12400 / 12400F gaming benchmarks.

i512400.jpg

Is it worth it to upgrade? i dont like my pc anymore because it tends to give me a bit of a problem when gaming or working (i uses adobe program and do a bit of video rendering and learning blender).
for gaming i like to play heavily modded skyrim or fallout, and theres a new big title i would like to play in 2023.

for example: there's a bit of stuttering when gaming, amd gpu occasionally crash or glitching when i ran gpu intensive software or game or even watching/buffering couple of videos at the same time.

Hey there,

You current PSU is on the low side for your GPU. Min recommended for the 5700 is a 600w PSU. Add to that, that the CX is not really a gaming grade PSU, and it's possible this is why your system is stuttering with crashes on heavy GPU loads.

Reactions: Krosszx and Why_Me
What is the new game you want to play?
Does it have minimum/recommended hardware specs?

Games will be limited by your cpu or your gpu.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you need a gpu upgrade, here is a chart to size the psu:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
For a good boost, you are looking at a 3070/3080 class gpu.
Those will want a 750/850w psu.
Whatever psu you buy, do not go cheap on the unit.
One test for quality is the lengthy of the warranty.
7 years or more is usually good quality.

On the cpu side, your 9400F has 6 processing threads and a passmark rating of 9539.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-9400F+@+2.90GHz&id=3397
That is when all 6 threads are fully used.
Games are not likely to make effective use of 6 threads. Multiplayer is an exception.
The more important metric for games is the single thread performance rating of 2463 which is quite decent.
Another way to measure single thread performance is to run cpu-Z bench and look at the single thread rating.
A 9400 should score about 452.
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/7szmu7
Your strongest cpu upgrade on your motherboard would be a i7-9700K which goes for some $200 used on ebay.
But, for the same price, you can get a much stronger 12400 with 12 threads and a rating of 19538/3531.
Here is a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i5-12400-review
Yes, you would would want a B660 based motherboard.
You can reuse your DDR4 ram.

Intel will launch the 13th gen tomorrow.
And the lowest priced model will be the 13600K.
But, that may well exceed your budget.

Before you spend any bucks do the free stuff.

Proper bios and drivers.
Clean out the built up crud on the disk.
Clean out the dust and built up crud on the innards.
Monitor temps while using the pc.
Look at the smart data for each disk.
Don't run or even load unneeded background stuff.

Krosszx

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
Yes, there can be bottleneck. But bottleneck as such, isn't that bad of a thing. It just maxes out one component (usually GPU, but can be CPU too), since the other component is far better.

hmm interesting, thank you for the insight.

thank you, but i think im gonna keep my 5700 for now. going from 5700 to 3060ti isnt a very significant upgrade imo.

Hey there,

You current PSU is on the low side for your GPU. Min recommended for the 5700 is a 600w PSU. Add to that, that the CX is not really a gaming grade PSU, and it's possible this is why your system is stuttering with crashes on heavy GPU loads.

i think 550w is enough, i dont have anything going on beside the gpu taking most of the power.
and yeah CX isnt a good psu, im planning to replace it soon to a good 850w or something for my next new gpu soon.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Skyrim mods are mostly papyrus script files, each gets overlayed over the original, so adds a lot of complexity to the game. And that's before adding stuff like hdt-smp and enbs.

Skyrim generally runs on 4 cores, mine with 170 4k, hdt-smp mods runs 6-7, and a 3700x gets me a solid 60fps. It gets extremely cpu IPC dependant, my old 3770k was hard hit at just over 200 mods, many of my current mods were unusable without sacrificing fps to a very large degree, so hdt was limited to heels, no enb, no smp, UNP not CBBE and mostly 2k mods.

The 5700 isn't an issue, it'll handle anything skyrim has to offer with no issue.
The mobo is a weak point, the B365 is a half chopped B360, and the chopped out parts just made the board weaker.
The psu is definitely a weak point, the CX simply weren't built for gaming demands, although function just fine for rendering and other long power draw situations.
Your biggest weakness with heavily modded skyrim is the CPU. That 6/6 leaves no room for anything, worse in some respects than an older 4/8 which at least had room for extras like windows and steam etc on the available threads.

So ideally a 6/12 with good IPC is a minimum must have, whether thats 50 series Ryzen or 12th gen intel, or better. Prices on the newest tech are stupid, and not worth the value, yet.

5700x on a decent B550/X570 or 12700 on a B660 are the best power/value atm. Intel based won't need higher speed ram than the 2666MHz, amd based won't Need higher speed ram, but does get better performance with 3600MHz.

I'd be looking at an RM/TXM class psu at 550w for a 5700x and a 650w for a 12700.

Krosszx

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
So ideally a 6/12 with good IPC is a minimum must have, whether thats 50 series Ryzen or 12th gen intel, or better. Prices on the newest tech are stupid, and not worth the value, yet.

5700x on a decent B550/X570 or 12700 on a B660 are the best power/value atm. Intel based won't need higher speed ram than the 2666MHz, amd based won't Need higher speed ram, but does get better performance with 3600MHz.

I'd be looking at an RM/TXM class psu at 550w for a 5700x and a 650w for a 12700.

i see
do you have reccomendation for best value processor right now?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Best value all around cpu right now is the R5 5600 non-X. It basically goes toe-to-toe with the slightly older 5600x. It's 6/12 and larger Lcache gives it a huge advantage over the 4/8 12100/F for $20 or so more.

But personally I'd opt for the 5700x, it's 8/16 larger than 5600 Lcache and higher single core turbo is going to be relevant longer than the 5600/X. For the same power levels. 65w.

But a lot depends on what Intel does for cpus and pricing with the 13th gen dropping today. If theres a 13400 at a good price, it's going to dust the 5600 in pretty much everything except price, but should still be able to get a very respectable platform for $600-$700.