Is this suitable for HL2?

Gordon

I have PC running the following ...

WinXP Pro SP2
Intel 865PERL
P4 2.4c w 800MHz FSB
1 GB DDR (in dual channel configuration)
GeForce 6600GT (AGP)
160GB WesternDigital SE HD (SATA)

Does anyone use a similar rig for HL2 and CounterStrike Source? If so,
what's your experience with it? The frame rate drops on me periodically
causing momentary pauses. Is this a configuration issue or does this
hardware just lack sufficient power? I'm running the games at 1024x768 at
the recommended settings. No AA or AF. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

BigJim

sometimes a fragmented hard drive will cause this or some program running in
the background.
try a little overclocking like maybe 5 percent then try 10 percent and see
if that helps.
I run about the same config except the sata drive I use ide. Oced mine 10
percent and it runs fine.
I also run the video card at 500 and 1000.

Gordon wrote:

> Does anyone use a similar rig for HL2 and CounterStrike Source?

Yep the mobo and cpu is the same
Less memory and less gpu though
Runs reasonable

Try installing XP and HL2 on a new (cheap) HD
You can use an IDE disk for this experiment

If this helps and - I am quite sure it does - you know what to do

rgds/Peter

Gordon wrote:
> I have PC running the following ...
>
> WinXP Pro SP2
> Intel 865PERL
> P4 2.4c w 800MHz FSB
> 1 GB DDR (in dual channel configuration)
> GeForce 6600GT (AGP)
> 160GB WesternDigital SE HD (SATA)
>
> Does anyone use a similar rig for HL2 and CounterStrike Source? If so,
> what's your experience with it? The frame rate drops on me periodically
> causing momentary pauses. Is this a configuration issue or does this
> hardware just lack sufficient power? I'm running the games at 1024x768 at
> the recommended settings. No AA or AF. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

As if that hardware wouldn't be powerful enough. I remember getting
along fine with an XP1800 and GeForce 4 for goodness sakes. :)

You may be suffering from the infamous "stuttering" issue that everyone
except me seems to be getting. There is no fix, sorry.

Gordon

"GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> As if that hardware wouldn't be powerful enough. I remember getting along
> fine with an XP1800 and GeForce 4 for goodness sakes. :)

I thought it should be, I just didn't want to rule anything out. :)

strider

Gordon proclaimed...

> I have PC running the following ...
>
> WinXP Pro SP2
> Intel 865PERL
> P4 2.4c w 800MHz FSB
> 1 GB DDR (in dual channel configuration)
> GeForce 6600GT (AGP)
> 160GB WesternDigital SE HD (SATA)
>
> Does anyone use a similar rig for HL2 and CounterStrike Source? If so,
> what's your experience with it? The frame rate drops on me periodically
> causing momentary pauses. Is this a configuration issue or does this
> hardware just lack sufficient power? I'm running the games at 1024x768 at
> the recommended settings. No AA or AF. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

It's been a while since I played but I found that CS ran worse than HL
and CS:S ran worse then HL2.

I have a similar rig to yours and get 25-40fps

--
"Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

www.stri.tk - site and blog

"Gordon" <mc@msnet.com> wrote in message
> I have PC running the following ...
>
> WinXP Pro SP2
> Intel 865PERL
> P4 2.4c w 800MHz FSB
> 1 GB DDR (in dual channel configuration)
> GeForce 6600GT (AGP)
> 160GB WesternDigital SE HD (SATA)
>
> Does anyone use a similar rig for HL2 and CounterStrike Source? If
> so, what's your experience with it? The frame rate drops on me
> periodically causing momentary pauses. Is this a configuration issue
> or does this hardware just lack sufficient power? I'm running the
> games at 1024x768 at the recommended settings. No AA or AF. Any
> thoughts greatly appreciated.

No, actually that's plenty of rig to play HL2 smoothly even in 1280x1024
with everything on and high, reflect ALL might slow it slightly in some
areas. The biggest issue so far is sound card drivers and hardware
acceleration. If there are any sound problems, you will get the
'stutters' that we've talked about for months here.

I'm running a GA8-IPE1000-G, P4-3.0E/800/1m L2, 4 X 512meg PC3200 in
dual channel, 6800GT, TB Santa Cruz sound, XP Pro SP2, 160g and 60g HD's
IDE at UDMA5. HL2, Far Cry, Doom3 rock!
McG.

Gordon

> I'm running a GA8-IPE1000-G, P4-3.0E/800/1m L2, 4 X 512meg PC3200 in dual
> channel, 6800GT, TB Santa Cruz sound, XP Pro SP2, 160g and 60g HD's IDE at
> UDMA5. HL2, Far Cry, Doom3 rock!
> McG.

I envy you. All you're missing is power steering and factory air. ;-)

Gordon <mc@msnet.com> typed as if devouring a plate of spoo:
> I have PC running the following ...
>
> WinXP Pro SP2
> Intel 865PERL
> P4 2.4c w 800MHz FSB
> 1 GB DDR (in dual channel configuration)
> GeForce 6600GT (AGP)
> 160GB WesternDigital SE HD (SATA)
>
> Does anyone use a similar rig for HL2 and CounterStrike Source? If
> so, what's your experience with it? The frame rate drops on me
> periodically causing momentary pauses. Is this a configuration issue
> or does this hardware just lack sufficient power? I'm running the
> games at 1024x768 at the recommended settings. No AA or AF. Any
> thoughts greatly appreciated.

Well, I run it on an Athlon 2100+ (1.7Ghz), 512MB PC2100 DDR, and a 128MB
Geforce FX5200. It runs, albeit slowly ;)

"Gordon" <mc@msnet.com> wrote in message
> I have PC running the following ...
>
> WinXP Pro SP2
> Intel 865PERL
> P4 2.4c w 800MHz FSB
> 1 GB DDR (in dual channel configuration)
> GeForce 6600GT (AGP)
> 160GB WesternDigital SE HD (SATA)
>
> Does anyone use a similar rig for HL2 and CounterStrike Source? If so,
> what's your experience with it? The frame rate drops on me periodically
> causing momentary pauses. Is this a configuration issue or does this
> hardware just lack sufficient power? I'm running the games at 1024x768 at
> the recommended settings. No AA or AF. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
>
>Don't know why you get slowdowns. Should be alright... Lower the graphical
detail.

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 19:45:28 -0400, "Gordon" <mc@msnet.com> wrote:

>I have PC running the following ...
>
>WinXP Pro SP2
XP Home SP2
>Intel 865PERL
MSI K7N2 Delta
Athlon XP 2500+ @ 3200+
>1 GB DDR (in dual channel configuration)
ditto at DDR 2700
>GeForce 6600GT (AGP)
ditto
>160GB WesternDigital SE HD (SATA)
various IDE HD's

>Does anyone use a similar rig for HL2 and CounterStrike Source? If so,
>what's your experience with it? The frame rate drops on me periodically
>causing momentary pauses. Is this a configuration issue or does this
>hardware just lack sufficient power? I'm running the games at 1024x768 at
>the recommended settings. No AA or AF. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

1024 x 768 everything on maximum including AA & AF: 94fps no
stuttering

1280 x 960 @ 89 FPS, no stuttering.

-
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere! Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned! Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!
Ihavetoknowwhatwhoeverdesigneditwastryingtoprotect!
(Blakes 7, City on the Edge of the World - Vila in typical panic mode)

-
-
-
-