Question Is this symptoms of my SSD failing?

Pandabear90

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Hey guys,

Here is what is happening.

I've had my PC I built for approximately 5 years. I have a SSD drive in it. I'm not sure if that is the issue, but I'll describe what is going on that just recently started happening last week.

When I turn my PC on, and I get to the login screen (I have Windows 10), I put my password in. Normally when I press "Enter", it will go to my desktop within seconds time, just recently I'd press "Enter" and a circulating circle appears and it now takes like 30 seconds for it to goto my desktop. When I get to my desktop, I can't click anything on the desktop. When I move my mouse to the start bar at the bottom of the screen, a blue circulating circle appears where my mouse pointer is. It appears to be processing something, but I literally can't click anything.

At that point, I hold the power button to shut off from my tower. It takes one or two times, of me doing this before I can get my PC to my desktop where everything seems "okay". But even at that point I still feel like its running slow or trying to process something.

Is this my SSD failing or what do you guys think this is?

I use my PC primarily for gaming, literally don't have much on the PC. I have 140GB of avaliable storage still and I have Windows 10, and Windows 10 is up to date.

Thanks!, Any help would be greatly appreciated?

D

Deleted member 14196

Use the testing software that’s available from your SSD manufacturer to test drive. Post the results back here. Have you run any malware checks to see if you’re infected with anything?

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
That is a sign of your windows install being corrupted. To jump from that to SSD failing being the cause of the corruption is just jumping to conclusions, although that possibility is nonzero, it is still highly unlikely without more evidence to support that claim.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
Clone your SSD to a backup SSD. You can a 256GB SSD cheap like:
$28 for this:

Or just an old available HDD. The clone and backup is so you can come back to where you are now.

Then install windows clean on your original SSD and test.

Alternatively your can try to get stuff like malwarebytes, antivirus of some sort, and check to make sure Windows hasn't been corrupted or compromised by some bad software. But this is hit or miss depending on your skill level.

TRENDING THREADS