Is this temp difference really a problem?

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
Sorry I just missed the other thread about reseating the CPU cooler. I looked through it, and tried the suggestions, but it didn't work.

Right now I am running a 6000+, stock, with a Scythe SCASM-1000- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185042

I have removed the stock fan and replaced it with a Scythe that moves around 88CFM. There are also 2 other fans, 120 mm, and are the same model. The problem is is that the core temps are far different. Right now, idling, with all fans max, Core 0 is reading 37 C, and Core 1 is reading 29 C. When full load is applied, Core 0 reads 47 C, and Core 1 reads 39 C. (Core Temps are from Core Temp 0.99.3.) This is after reapplying the cooling paste twice.

The first time I installed the compound I put the small blob in the middle and squeezed the paste out with the heatsink. I saw the big difference in temps, so i removed the compound thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol, and tried applying the compound in the line fashion. This method resulted in the temps listed above. The question I have is, is it the thermal paste causing this difference? Should I even worry about it? And the last question, how else should I fix it?

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
I just found another piece of interesting information. While running Folding@Home GPU client, there is one core that is used 100%. When I take a look at CoreTemp, it says that the core that is under full load is the one that is reading 40 C, and the other with no load is reading 47 C. hmmmm.....

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
You do not mention your motherboard, but most require you to manually set it to allow the second core to operate.

Otherwise, only one core is fed instructions, heating it up, while the other idles along.

Should be under the cpu options in the bios.

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Seems weird that the temps would read so far apart. I would think you have core that is giving off bad temp reading or you have an air bubble among the thermal paste.

I like using a combination of the line method and blob method when applying thermal paste. Run a line across the 2 cores but slow down in the middle so you get a blob in the middle. Kinda like this: --@--