[SOLVED] Is this Temp Normal fro ASUS RTX 2070 Super.

sharey.0013

Prominent
Sep 28, 2018
Hi, I bought a brand new ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2070 super Advanced edition GPU and from what I've gathered from multiple reviews this card should not go above 65 degree even under heavy load,

But, unfortunately when I'm gaming it hits 70 degree very quickly but haven't exceeded that yet. (I have the card on Performance Bios.)

I have the Corsair Carbide 175R, and I've attached a screenshot of HW monitor for other details.

What I want to know is if this is normal or should i consider other cooling options !

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nyJWpqJhJ9yfcuf3VIxtVoRdbSmPT3GP

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OgLIVRDqWvvviYbt4DP48bJJWiLPJCOZ

*These Screen shots are taken After a Gaming session.

Solution
from what I've gathered from multiple reviews this card should not go above 65 degree even under heavy load,
What, no!
The temps YOUR gpu will see depend on:
-Your room temps
-Your case's airflow
-Your gpu's fan settings

70C is still fine. Plenty of headroom from 83C.
I owned the same model ASUS RTX 2070 Super Advenced Edition until I sold it recently.

In my system, with a room temp around 21'c or so, on the performance BIOS setting, my card peaked at 71'c with fan rpm at 50 - 55%

So exactly as Phaaze88 says, 70'c is a good temp, far from critical level, and in my personal experience, the temps you are reporting are almost identical with the ones I saw in gaming situations.

During the 6 months I had the card, I began to get the impression that 70'c was the target temp for the card on Performance BIOS. For example, if I overclocked the card, it would still peak at 71'c, but the fan RPM would be higher insted, around 62% versus 50-550% I experinced on stock settings.

Changing temperature limit in MSI Afterburner didn't seem to affect to 70'c max temp.

Last edited:
Reactions: sharey.0013

sharey.0013

Prominent
Sep 28, 2018
I owned the same model ASUS RTX 2070 Super Advenced Edition until I sold it recently.

In my system, with a room temp around 21'c or so, on the performance BIOS setting, my card peaked at 71'c with fan rpm at 50 - 55%

So exactly as Phaaze88 says, 70'c is a good temp, far from critical level, and in my personal experience, the temps you are reporting are almost identical with the ones I saw in gaming situations.
Thanks a lot. This really helps.

All the review from users after buying this card said that it runs at 57'c while gaming and not higher than 65'c. So I kinda got worried that my card had bad thermal paste application or something.😁

Thanks again.

I just added this bit to my previous post:

During the 6 months I had the card, I began to get the impression that 70'c was the target temp for the card on Performance BIOS. For example, if I overclocked the card, it would still peak at 71'c, but the fan RPM would be higher insted, around 62% versus 50-55% I experinced on stock settings.

Changing temperature limit in MSI Afterburner didn't seem to affect the 70'c max temp.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Looking at the pic again, I have a couple ideas as to the current temp situation.
1)Psu shrouds, while they are aesthetically pleasing, do impact gpu temps a little.

2)AIO coolers are a matter of picking your poison:
-Top mounted: higher cpu temps, lower gpu temps
-Front mounted: lower cpu temps, higher gpu temps
The radiator adds an additional obstacle for air to travel through/around, thus reducing it's pressure. You'll need to run the radiator fans faster to make up for that loss.

Reactions: sharey.0013

sharey.0013

Prominent
Sep 28, 2018
I just added this bit to my previous post:

During the 6 months I had the card, I began to get the impression that 70'c was the target temp for the card on Performance BIOS. For example, if I overclocked the card, it would still peak at 71'c, but the fan RPM would be higher insted, around 62% versus 50-55% I experinced on stock settings.

Changing temperature limit in MSI Afterburner didn't seem to affect the 70'c max temp.
I noticed this too. It reaches 70 very quick doesn't go above 70.

sharey.0013

Prominent
Sep 28, 2018
Looking at the pic again, I have a couple ideas as to the current temp situation.
1)Psu shrouds, while they are aesthetically pleasing, do impact gpu temps a little.

2)AIO coolers are a matter of picking your poison:
-Top mounted: higher cpu temps, lower gpu temps
-Front mounted: lower cpu temps, higher gpu temps
The radiator adds an additional obstacle for air to travel through/around, thus reducing it's pressure. You'll need to run the radiator fans faster to make up for that loss.
If I turn up the radiator fans it makes noticeable noise with some wired vibration to the case. So I guess I would put m radiator on top and see if CPU temps are okay.

sharey.0013

Prominent
Sep 28, 2018
So the extra breathing room in your case makes the difference.
I tuned up my intake fans to a happy Medium like @Phaaze88 suggested and now my GPU peak at 68'C. I bet if I replace my CPU radiator to the top of the case I can even lower 2 or 3'C.

Thanks 😁

Reactions: Phaaze88