[SOLVED] Is this temperature normal for i5-11400F?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfMeister98

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I recently build a new rig, but when in idle temps, the CPU temperature stay arround 36-39C, and when I run Cinebench R23 with multi thread benchmark, the maximum temperature is 91C. Is it normal?

Note: My room temperature is about in 25-27C.

*i5-11400F (Unlock Boost Power Limit to 90W)
*Asrock H510M-HVS R2.0
*Galax RTX 2060 6GB 1-Click OC
*Modified Deepcool Ice Mini FS with Cooler Master fan.
*Kingpin KPX Thermal Paste

Edit : First Pass, temperature reach 91C, Second pass only reach arround 74C Maximum.

Last edited:
Solution
Heres some interesting result, I did just add a little of thermal paste in the middle of the CPU.

The idle temp stays at 34-36C

and Maximum Temp is 86 C at full load.

Still same fan, but will change it soon for further improvement

View: https://imgur.com/a/RfXZ0R8

So I used to have a 10400. I power unlocked it completely, and used bclk to get a 2.4% overclock. With the stock cooler, I don't think it ever pulled more than 80W even during stress tests and never got over 80C.

That said, 86C under synthetic all core workloads is nothing to be concerned about at all. You'll never see that in real, normal use.

Also you do not need a high end air cooler on your CPU. I had used a...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yes that's to be expected. Case ambient will always be warmer than room ambient; low load temperature will never be lower than the former.
Running a cpu benchmark like that under auto Vcore combined with unlocked power limits and high performance power plans sucks... juice.

The added edit is unusual though. Perhaps the motherboard VRM thermal throttled. That is a pretty naked looking board...
IDK, I'm just guessing. The details are kind of vague. Like, I've no idea if you did the 2nd pass right after the 1st pass warmed everything up, how long the passes were, or how well the core held on to their boost clocks, etc...

WolfMeister98

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Yes that's to be expected. Case ambient will always be warmer than room ambient; low load temperature will never be lower than the former.
Running a cpu benchmark like that under auto Vcore combined with unlocked power limits and high performance power plans sucks... juice.

The added edit is unusual though. Perhaps the motherboard VRM thermal throttled. That is a pretty naked looking board...
IDK, I'm just guessing. The details are kind of vague. Like, I've no idea if you did the 2nd pass right after the 1st pass warmed everything up, how long the passes were, or how well the core held on to their boost clocks, etc...
the first pass on cinebench, its consuming power > 120watt. Then on 2nd pass and later its consuming on arround 90watt.

No that's too high, the 11400F is relatively power hungry chip for a 6 core CPU, the PL2 state is 154W, which would overwhelm that cooler. The difference between the first and second run is likely due to thermal throttling of the CPU and/or VRM's.

When it's hitting 90C is the CPU fan running at 100%?

Reactions: WolfMeister98

WolfMeister98

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
No that's too high, the 11400F is relatively power hungry chip for a 6 core CPU, the PL2 state is 154W, which would overwhelm that cooler. The difference between the first and second run is likely due to thermal throttling of the CPU and/or VRM's.

yes, its running at 100%, all the time (Because I set it to Full Speed on BIOS)

WolfMeister98

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016

I think I should change my Intake fan, because its running on slow speed.

I'm going to use 2x Deepcool RF 120 White as the intake fan
and
Cooler Master Sickleflow 120 White

Is both of them good, or do you have any recomendation?

yes, its running at 100%, all the time (Because I set it to Full Speed on BIOS)
Ok just thought I'd check.

I think I should change my Intake fan, because its running on slow speed.

I'm going to use 2x Deepcool RF 120 White as the intake fan
and
Cooler Master Sickleflow 120 White

Is both of them good, or do you have any recomendation?
I would have said the Sickleflow was the better of the two. From an airflow perspective they should all be fine but we'd need to know what case you have, where your putting the fans.

I notice that you say 'Unlock Boost Power Limit to 90W ', I don't have your board, but that sounds to me like the max sustained TDP supported by board is 90W which would explain the drop to 90W on the second run.

It's certainly important to have good airflow but I don't think this is going to solve your temperature issues.

WolfMeister98

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Ok just thought I'd check.

I would have said the Sickleflow was the better of the two. From an airflow perspective they should all be fine but we'd need to know what case you have, where your putting the fans.

I notice that you say 'Unlock Boost Power Limit to 90W ', I don't have your board, but that sounds to me like the max sustained TDP supported by board is 90W which would explain the drop to 90W on the second run.

It's certainly important to have good airflow but I don't think this is going to solve your temperature issues.

Yes the maximum supported for long power unlock is 90w, but for short the board can provide 150w maximum at 228 s

Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

What model pc case? How many fans installed?

View: https://imgur.com/a/akByGnt

This case only have 2 x 120mm intake and a 120mm exhaust.

Edit : Sorry for late response, I'm at work :(

View: https://imgur.com/a/akByGnt
This case only have 2 x 120mm intake and a 120mm exhaust.
Show actual photo of your system (not some generic product marketing images).
Looks like your pc case has zero air intake (completely closed front).

512800fad547555f5568ff0c4bd82620

Last edited:

WolfMeister98

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
CPU cooler is too weak.
Case is not suitable for high power gaming components.
Change both.
I'm assuming that my 2 front 120mm cooler rotating in low speed (arround 800rpm), but thanks. I would try to change cpu cooler and then case if the problem persist.

I see you've got two fans on the CPU cooler, are they in a push pull configuration?
Yes, the push is rotating arround 4000rpm (12v 0.54Amps)
And the pull is rorating arround 2000rpm (12v 0.16Amps)

would try to replace the pull fan since its rotating slower speed than the push fan.

I'm assuming that my 2 front 120mm cooler rotating in low speed (arround 800rpm), but thanks. I would try to change cpu cooler and then case if the problem persist.

Yes, the push is rotating arround 4000rpm (12v 0.54Amps)
And the pull is rorating arround 2000rpm (12v 0.16Amps)

would try to replace the pull fan since its rotating slower speed than the push fan.
I'm assuming the CPU cooler came with one fan given the different speeds and you added a second? If so did you notice any improvement by doing so?

WolfMeister98

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I'm assuming the CPU cooler came with one fan given the different speeds and you added a second? If so did you notice any improvement by doing so?
yes,its coming with 2000rpm at first. But it reaches to 95C and more until the cpu throttling (when gaming, not benchmark with cinebench)

When added the 2nd fan (cooler master). It only reaches 85 maximum on gaming.

I also provided my video as your reference
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUB-44tgdcQ

yes,its coming with 2000rpm at first. But it reaches to 95C and more until the cpu throttling (when gaming, not benchmark with cinebench)

When added the 2nd fan (cooler master). It only reaches 85 maximum on gaming.

I also provided my video as your reference
Oh ok that's interesting. 85C isn't a disaster but if it were me I would prefer lower. The two 120mm intake fans don't concern me but I know nothing about the case so I wouldn't be able to judge the airflow.

On a side note, when your checking temperatures are you using the latest version of the monitoring tool?

WolfMeister98

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Oh ok that's interesting. 85C isn't a disaster but if it were me I would prefer lower. The two 120mm intake fans don't concern me but I know nothing about the case so I wouldn't be able to judge the airflow.

On a side note, when your checking temperatures are you using the latest version of the monitoring tool?
yes, latest version of msi afterburner, I will try to replace the two 120mm intake fan because i took it out and only feel small flow from both fan and will share the result here.

If you have the fans available it makes sense to try them and see if there is any improvement. I've been looking at the spec's of your cooler, I notice that it's a 2 heat pipe solution and the airflow of the included fan is relatively low. You may find that to achieve any significant further reduction in temperature that you need a new cooler.

If you were to go down that route then I would expect something like a BeQuiet! Pure Rock 2 or an Artic Freezer 34 eSports Duo to be a noticeable improvement in temperature and noise.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Quiet-B...7VL2Z21/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B087VL2Z21&psc=1

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/arc...1UyDGisI0CeWA5pSd4nuozX6bk4iZQixoCE2UQAvD_BwE

WolfMeister98

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
If you have the fans available it makes sense to try them and see if there is any improvement. I've been looking at the spec's of your cooler, I notice that it's a 2 heat pipe solution and the airflow of the included fan is relatively low. You may find that to achieve any significant further reduction in temperature that you need a new cooler.

If you were to go down that route then I would expect something like a BeQuiet! Pure Rock 2 or an Artic Freezer 34 eSports Duo to be a noticeable improvement in temperature and noise.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Quiet-B...7VL2Z21/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B087VL2Z21&psc=1

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/arc...1UyDGisI0CeWA5pSd4nuozX6bk4iZQixoCE2UQAvD_BwE

Thanks for your recomendation!

Status
Not open for further replies.