[SOLVED] Is This the “Death” of the PC?

Endre

Reputable
Hello!
I just found out about NVIDIA’s GeForce Now service:

So, their idea is to buy a game, then pay a monthly fee of $5.5 on NVIDIA’s service, and be able to play ANY GAME from their catalog at maximum settings on ANY PC!!!
If your internet connection is fast enough, you’ll get @60FPS even on a PC with Pentium 4 CPU, 2GB DDR2 RAM, and NO discrete graphics card!

Yeah, there is some lag, but it’s not that bad, and this is just the beginning!

Virtual Computing might take over traditional computing!
First, for the gamers, later for almost everyone else!

Question:
  1. Do you all think that this is it?
  2. Do you think that this is a good thing?
  3. Are desktop PCs going to become history?

Solution
1)Nope. Someone has to start it, before it can be improved, just like how Nvidia 'started' with ray tracing.
2)Yes.
3)Not even close.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
To emphasize my 3rd answer a little more, the early incarnations of cloud gaming will suck for people like myself who have less than ideal internet packages:
-upload and download speeds
-data caps
I'm out here in a section of the US countryside getting 15Mbps; data cap is currently unlimited - something about being a long time customer of AT&T or something, I can't remember...
AT&T has pretty much monopolized this area.

With my current system VS cloud gaming, there's no way I'd switch over now.

Endre

Reputable
To emphasize my 3rd answer a little more, the early incarnations of cloud gaming will suck for people like myself who have less than ideal internet packages:
-upload and download speeds
-data caps
I'm out here in a section of the US countryside getting 15Mbps; data cap is currently unlimited - something about being a long time customer of AT&T or something, I can't remember...
AT&T has pretty much monopolized this area.

With my current system VS cloud gaming, there's no way I'd switch over now.

I get it.
But in my country, most people have 1Gbps internet speed! Which means it’ll get here sooner.
For your area, the 5G wireless connection might solve the internet speed issue.

I’m not talking about near future, but in 10 years...

Reactions: Phaaze88
Hello!
I just found out about NVIDIA’s GeForce Now service:

So, their idea is to buy a game, then pay a monthly fee of $5.5 on NVIDIA’s service, and be able to play ANY GAME from their catalog at maximum settings on ANY PC!!!
If your internet connection is fast enough, you’ll get @60FPS even on a PC with Pentium 4 CPU, 2GB DDR2 RAM, and NO discrete graphics card!

Yeah, there is some lag, but it’s not that bad, and this is just the beginning!

Virtual Computing might take over traditional computing!
First, for the gamers, later for almost everyone else!

Question:
  1. Do you all think that this is it?
  2. Do you think that this is a good thing?
  3. Are desktop PCs going to become history?

You really think PC is dying of cloud gaming? First of, when I tried it I think it is awful and only find it as a way to continue my gameplay anywhere not to play game bad pc. They all say the same when xbox one x came out and when iPhone 10 etc came out. There can be anything like a playstation X with the equivalent of 17 rtx 2080's, it still won't be better than a pc. A pc can do so much more and has more potential.

But to answer your questions,

1- no

2- yes

3-no

Endre

Reputable
You really think PC is dying of cloud gaming? First of, when I tried it I think it is awful and only find it as a way to continue my gameplay anywhere not to play game bad pc. They all say the same when xbox one x came out and when iPhone 10 etc came out. There can be anything like a playstation X with the equivalent of 17 rtx 2080's, it still won't be better than a pc. A pc can do so much more and has more potential.

But to answer your questions,

1- no

2- yes

3-no

I don’t know what to think.
But everything starts to move towards subscription based services:
Music, movies, gaming etc.
Where we, as users, no longer have the physical items in our hands. Some cloud has them.

Another thing is, that if your internet speed is @1Gbps (through fibre cable), that input lag gets really low.

I’m not necessarily happy about this whole stuff, because it will keep us at the hands of these companies, and of the internet providers.

Endre

Reputable
They said the same when the playstation and xbox appeared.
And again when the iPad came out.

Maybe you’re right, but I think that there is a difference in this case:
The price will play its role in the whole thing!
Not every gamer can afford to spend $1500-$2000 on a good PC, but anyone can spend $5.5 on a subscription to GeForce Now.

If this will become a success, others will follow! Any platform and program out there can do the same.

Maybe you’re right, but I think that there is a difference in this case:
The price will play its role in the whole thing!
Not every gamer can afford to spend $1500-$2000 on a good PC, but anyone can spend $5.5 on a subscription to GeForce Now.

If this will become a success, others will follow! Any platform and program out there can do the same.
Google Stadia did the same thing. And it flunked badly.

Geforce Now isn't as bad, but there are issues. Latency is poor with an average internet connection. This really isn't something that can be easily fixed by NVIDIA. Competitive play isn't very competitive at all.

I live in a rural area in the USA with a network cap of 300mbps and my PC's wifi seems to suck (1/5th of ethernet speed) no matter what expensive wifi card I use or how close I put it to my router. Geforce now would NOT work for me.

Also, remember, "the cloud" is just someone else computer.

Endre

Reputable
Google Stadia did the same thing. And it flunked badly.

Geforce Now isn't as bad, but there are issues. Latency is poor with an average internet connection. This really isn't something that can be easily fixed by NVIDIA. Competitive play isn't very competitive at all.

I live in a rural area in the USA with a network cap of 300mbps and my PC's wifi seems to suck (1/5th of ethernet speed) no matter what expensive wifi card I use or how close I put it to my router. Geforce now would NOT work for me.

Also, remember, "the cloud" is just someone else computer.

I agree.
But in my country the internet is cheap and fast 1Gbps for about $9.5.

Also in areas where the internet speed is low, 5G WiFi might solve that too.

And yes! You’re right! The cloud is someone else’s PC!
Later, when most of the people will depend on their virtual PC, they’ll raise the price of the subscription.

I get it.
But in my country, most people have 1Gbps internet speed! Which means it’ll get here sooner.
For your area, the 5G wireless connection might solve the internet speed issue.

I’m not talking about near future, but in 10 years...
From what I have read 5G only works when you have direct line of sight of the antenna. If this proves to be correct we won’t be getting 5G in our homes where there are walls between the device and the antenna.

Reactions: Endre
1) Nope. We have had streaming services where you can stream on the same network from pc to device. Just look at Steam Link. This is taking it to the next level but I would expect it will need to evolve.

2) Yes, more choice and competition is a good thing.

3) Not any time soon. I see this as more competition to hand held gaming and consoles. PC for the foreseeable future is going to give the best experience if willing to pay for it. Also a pc can do a lot more than just gaming.

Reactions: Endre
Because Google doesn't understand even one IOTA of the economy.
The execs have their heads too far up their own - or perhaps each other's(?), that all they know is money.

When someone is so damn wealthy that they lose focus and become completely detached from how the rest of the economy works... :pfff:
Well and the product sucks.

Some users couldn't even activate theirs without a latest model android or iphone.