Is this the best motherboard for video editing?

clueless404

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
Hi everyone,
I was curious as to if this would be a quality board? I've had a big struggle with Asus and their boards, and I want a z97 chipset with 1150 socket for around $150. Is this my best option? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130771 (I must say, the dragon is awesome). I'd like to stay away from Asus for now, but would Gigabyte have anything higher quality than msi? I'm not looking for performance (I have plenty with this build and motherboard, I don't need more) but quality. I want a very reliable and good looking board if possible- thanks! Here's my specs:

CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core
Motherboard ?
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL
Storage Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB 2.5" SSD
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 4GB
Case Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply XFX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your help.

Solution

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
What problems did you have and what mobo? I generally recommend the Asus Z87-A (and now the Z97-A) for entry level editing rigs, then the Z87/Z97 for mid to high level editing rigs and then move on up to the Z87-WS for the higher end on 1150 (haven't built w/ the Z97-WS yet)....and thus far all have beeen very happy

ASUS is my choice of brand honestly, but i would say MSI over Gigabyte. The motherboard wont have a whole lot to do with video editing...just make sure it can utilize all the parts properly (usb 3.0, sata 6, speed and type of RAM you need).

clueless404

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014

Been struggling to get a POST- haven't gotten one at all, and a lot of the reviews for the z87-a depict similar situations to mine, where no POST is received. Replaced every single part- RAM, CPU, PSU, and had two z87 mobos. I'm going to try another mobo. But yes, Asus has usually been reliable for me

clueless404

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014

Okay, I think I'll go with that MSI board. Thanks!

clueless404

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
Talked to a couple people who said similar things, and also that it was probably down to just a crappy board, as everything was compatible. If this new board doesn't solve it... uhh- well, hopefully I can take it to someone to help me. There's a couple ads on craigslist.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Might post up the components, somebody might see something, i.e. have run into a number of Z87 builds that sound like yours where they wer trying to run a SSD w/ the SandForce 12XX controllers, which were fine w/ IB but the Z87 chipset tightened down on SATA III compatibility and they just don't work

Stupid question probably but youve tried running with 2 boards? and both didnt post? You had the bare minimum in the board at the time right? cpu+cooler, one stick RAM, psu, and boot media? used a ps2 mouse/keyboard instead of usb? sometimes little things like that idk.

If the 2nd board was a RMA from the first it was likely a refurb board or something so it could just be bad boards. My friend had the Corsair HX 750 with nasty coil buzzing under load, we RMAd it and the replacement does the SAME DAMN THING. i bet it was a refurb. Now corsair is giving him an AX 750 unit so theres a silver lining.

clueless404

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014

What did they do to solve that problem?

clueless404

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014

Yep I tried it with the bare minimum. RAM, CPU, PSU, and mobo. Nothing. My RMA was an exception, because I was out of the 30 day range they refunded my money and I ordered a new board- they didn't have time to possibly send the same board back so I don't think it's the same one. Thanks tho!

i realize that, we never sent in the first HX 750 before they sent the second. i think they refurbish other peoples and send it back to you lol

Solution