Question Is this the correct thread to discuss undervolting?

Oct 3, 2019
I successfully undervolted my laptop's CPU and ended up with increased performance and higher benchmarks at a lower temperature due to the lack of thermal throttling. I know the general purpose of undervolting is to reduce temperature and wear on the hardware over time and not to improve performance. I was just wondering about other people's experiences undervolting and if they had seen a performance boost as well? I just think that if so, it seems smarter to undervolt than to overclock (unless you know your system can take the extra heat) because not only does it increase the hardware and battery lifespans, but you can't damage your equipment by taking it too far.

Also, by successful I'm implying that my system is still reliably stable at the lower voltage value after strenuous stress testing with multiple software products.

Is there anything I did or didn't mention that I might be misunderstanding about this process?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Is there anything I did or didn't mention that I might be misunderstanding about this process?
Nope, everything you said looks right to me! Indeed, in any situation where you're already power/thermally limited you're better off lowering the voltage before you try increasing the clock speed. And this is more often the case for mobile parts. For desktop parts you typically have more options with regard to improving cooling or increasing power limits.

Reactions: mrtomasophalus