[SOLVED] is this the normal sound of a hard drive?

May 18, 2020
hello,

i just bought a new pc and i got Seagate Barracuda 2tb this is my first time owning HDD, im hearing a noise and i don't know if its normal or not

i recorded the sound close to the hard drive while running HD TUNE

SOUND ( ignore mouse clicking in the beginning )

Solution
Sounds to me like a normal hdd while working and since you've been running hdtune it makes perfect sense. Man I ran mostly ssd or m.2 nowadays and hearing those little hdd farts bring so many memories :_) Anyway If you start to hear more of squeak/screech or if ur drive will be making any noise while idle that would be the point to start worrying. Other sign of potencial fail would be increadibly slow transfer (minute or so to copy/move a single pic for example) or corrupted/disappearing files.

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Sounds to me like a normal hdd while working and since you've been running hdtune it makes perfect sense. Man I ran mostly ssd or m.2 nowadays and hearing those little hdd farts bring so many memories :_) Anyway If you start to hear more of squeak/screech or if ur drive will be making any noise while idle that would be the point to start worrying. Other sign of potencial fail would be increadibly slow transfer (minute or so to copy/move a single pic for example) or corrupted/disappearing files.

Solution