[SOLVED] Is this the right time to buy a gpu?

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014
So my question is is it the right time to buy a gpu like an rtx 2070 super which is at about 500+euros or should i wait until their price drops?

Solution
7nm Nvidia cards should be coming next year. Nvidia needs to do it next year as they're currently losing on profit margins. AMD just released their 7nm cards, so I guess their next gen card will come after Nvidia's. Hitting 1080p 60fps shouldn't be a problem in newer titles. I reckon it won't be any different in upcoming titles (games barely get more taxing since 5 years ago, so I assume it'll be the same). The will become CPU more and more of a factor in the future at that resolution, though. But I'd say a 4C/8T i7 would do just fine for 60 Hz gaming.
Your CPU will bottleneck the Super in some games. AAA games mainly. BF V would be an example.

I'd be sticking with what you have, unless you're willing to part with about $500 to get a more capable base system to power the 2070 super. You will just be disappointed with it's performance because the CPU will hold it back a little.

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014
1080p 60 Hz Gaming? No. 1080p 120 Hz or 1440p 60 Hz? Maybe, but I probably wouldn't. Next gen mid ranger should bring 1080p 240 Hz, 1440p 120 Hz, and 4K 60 Hz to the masses. So probably not the right time if you have the GTX 980 already.
about when will the next gen come out? cause i wanna have a pc that can play the new modern warfare borderlands and cyberpunk

7nm Nvidia cards should be coming next year. Nvidia needs to do it next year as they're currently losing on profit margins. AMD just released their 7nm cards, so I guess their next gen card will come after Nvidia's. Hitting 1080p 60fps shouldn't be a problem in newer titles. I reckon it won't be any different in upcoming titles (games barely get more taxing since 5 years ago, so I assume it'll be the same). The will become CPU more and more of a factor in the future at that resolution, though. But I'd say a 4C/8T i7 would do just fine for 60 Hz gaming.

Solution

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014
i am playing on a 144 hz monitor so