Is this thermal paste "Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut" safe for application in my GPU? (980 Ti)

Yelloww

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
This may be a very silly question and I have very little knowledge about this in retrospect, but I would have figured it is safe to use if it was just another OEM paste.

GPU: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N98TXTREME-6GD#kf

Paste: https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/produkte/2-kryonaut

Since my graphics card hasn't stopped its fans (As it did when I first built this PC, also part of Maxwell architecture for Nvidia) on idle, my concern is that the temperatures have gone up from 3 years of usage, or if the old OEM paste which Gigabyte is applied has dried out.

Main question is, is this paste safe to apply on my GPU? Anything to look out for? (The thermal paste being conductive, or only suited for overclocked CPUs as my GPU runs stock 24/7 since this is thermal applicator is suited for enthusiast PCs)

Thank you for reading and bearing with me, sorry English isn't my primary language

I see too many cases where GPU's don't work properly after the cooler is removed, so either really understand what you are doing, or rule out every other cause first. There could be background programs that are prodding the GPU enough that it doesn't idle. Driver updates could have caused issues. Any number of things. And is it really a problem, what's the load temps?

I re-pasted my EVGA GTX 1070 SC and it improved temps greatly. I re-pasted my EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 and will be testing it this morning.

Only difference is EVGA does not void the warranty when the cooler is removed.

I'm sure the 980 Ti is already out of warranty though.

Yelloww

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
Load temp is 83c, and before it use to remain idle forever during surfing and leaving pc alone until I open up something very 3d intense, now after a few yr it does stay idle too, but the fans spin up every 10 seconds during said non-3d usage.

When i mean by before, is when I used to live in a very small room with the pc not having good air flow, and a yr later I moved in to a bigger house with less isolated room with windows open and door open to get more air through, even then it does not change the fact that GPU fans ramp up even if i don't do anything :(

You know what you are doing.

Yelloww

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017

Yes, is out of warranty cause I purchased all my parts mid 2016 month before 1000 series is release (rip :D)

Plus, my GPUs were used for mining and needed re-pasting. I would agree you really need to know what you are doing. But the main thing is to be careful and take your time removing the cooler. Try to lookup a YouTube video of a disassembly of your exact GPU.

Yelloww

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017

Ok sir , I will check it now and see if it is worth the effort. But before hand I will also attempt to rebuild my PC and do much as i can to unrestrict airflow to my GPU by tending to more cable management and see if that makes any difference too.

Thank you two for your time, well appreciate it :)

83 is fine, not idling with no fans or not a problem that actually needs to be fixed. If you choose to do something be very careful, if there are thermal pads then replace them, don't rush it, be prepared to wait for a bit and buy spares that you might need.