Is this ticking sound normal for a harddrive

xeddiex

Respectable
Aug 27, 2017
My old pc case has the drive cage under psu shroud so they were mounted horizontally.
Recently I have transferred my build to Lian Li O11 Dynamic, which the hard drives would be mounting vertically in the cage.

Everytime when I try to access the harddrive in explorer from a fresh boot (or when I download a file from Chrome and save it to harddisk) it would make one flicking sound (like it just started working?).
But the sound wont replicate again unless I turn the PC fully off, and restart it later.

Just wanna know if that is a normal sound, or it could be dying (It is a Toshiba 4TB 7200rpm HDD and only used for roughly 1 year)

Solution
Well if your OS it's on another drive, that is normal. That secondary HDD won't start functioning until you use it, so that would be why it sounds like that.
You can set the HDD to start running continuosly by going to:
power options->change your plan settings->change advanced power settings->Expand the Turn off HDD after and set it to never.
That should stop making your HDD go to sleep(turn off) when it's not used.
Well if your OS it's on another drive, that is normal. That secondary HDD won't start functioning until you use it, so that would be why it sounds like that.
You can set the HDD to start running continuosly by going to:
power options->change your plan settings->change advanced power settings->Expand the Turn off HDD after and set it to never.
That should stop making your HDD go to sleep(turn off) when it's not used.

Solution