Is this too much thermal paste?

Solution
That's an expensive CPU.
Yes, in that case you want to be even more careful.

That CPU is a beast on temps. But at least they are designed to save them selves if needed.

I would recommend going with what you have there.
Putting the heatsink/water block on and mounting correctly.
The first time you fire it up run it for ten minutes and then shut down, and take off the heat sink and confirm coverage. New paste is supple enough to remove the heatsink and check, with out having to clean and start over.

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Looks about right.

Some of the higher end thermal pasts come with a little spatula to spread the past around before putting on the heat sink. That way you confirm that it's fully covered and thin visually.

I know that's not the norm, but I have adopted that method with good results.
Remember you basically want the thinnest coating that covers the entire surface.

GameRat

Reputable
Aug 5, 2017

Thanks. I don't have a spatula. Should I not worry and just keep going? Don't want to fry my i9-7900X.

looks like a very little more than i use

but not too the point of hey thats way too much

if its too much not going to fry the cpu would just have to redo the paste using a little less next time

if you have enough paste do a test run then remove the cooler and check the spread

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
That's an expensive CPU.
Yes, in that case you want to be even more careful.

That CPU is a beast on temps. But at least they are designed to save them selves if needed.

I would recommend going with what you have there.
Putting the heatsink/water block on and mounting correctly.
The first time you fire it up run it for ten minutes and then shut down, and take off the heat sink and confirm coverage. New paste is supple enough to remove the heatsink and check, with out having to clean and start over.

Solution