[SOLVED] Is this too much?

edifice

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Hi,

Just wanted to know if upgrading from an Oc'd i5 6700K with 16gb RAM to a i9 9900K with the same RAM amount be considered OTT for a GTX 1080?

Only asking as I'm due an upgrade and, I'm going from 1080p to 1440 also. Plus, I'm finally in a position to do so in regards to savings!!!

I just want best bang for buck as it were, without wasting amounts on OTT GPU's plus, from what I can gather, the latest titles are way more dependent on processors these days, not just the sheer grunt of your GPU!?

Any thoughts/ideas to this, much appreciated!!!

Cheers!!!

Solution
Hi keith12,

I know your right in regards to what you say therefore, would swapping out my GPU from what I have to an RTX 2080 also not be worth doing?

I guess I am just wasting my money if that were to be the case, especially if I were to remain at 1080p, I am guessing I would not see a vast improvement at that resolution?

Many thanks.

Sorry, for some reason, I'm not getting notifications to updated threads. I've only seen this now.

Hmmm, like i said your CPU is well matched with a 1080. Going for a 2080 will show your CPU limitations more, in about a year or two. I'm not saying you won't get a boost going from a 1080 to a 2080 even at 1080p, just that the 6700k may hold back the RTX a little. Improvement wise, the RTX will...
TBH, I'd say stick with the OC 6700k and the GTX1080. It's a pretty balanced match. THe 6700k is still a great performer at 1080p, and at 1440 it starts to switch to the GPU, so the CPU is less a factor.

You are right, games like BF V can take advantage of more cores and threads, and it makes a difference for in game smoothness for sure. But the 6700k with a decent OC still has some legs in it, as does the GTX1080 at 1080p and 1440. Wait for next gen CPU, maybe Ryzen 3, which looks awesome, or Intels next expensive iteration.

edifice

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Hi keith12,

I know your right in regards to what you say therefore, would swapping out my GPU from what I have to an RTX 2080 also not be worth doing?

I guess I am just wasting my money if that were to be the case, especially if I were to remain at 1080p, I am guessing I would not see a vast improvement at that resolution?

Many thanks.

Hi keith12,

Many thanks.

Sorry, for some reason, I'm not getting notifications to updated threads. I've only seen this now.

Hmmm, like i said your CPU is well matched with a 1080. Going for a 2080 will show your CPU limitations more, in about a year or two. I'm not saying you won't get a boost going from a 1080 to a 2080 even at 1080p, just that the 6700k may hold back the RTX a little. Improvement wise, the RTX will defo push more FPS than the GTX, how much is really game dependant. Anywhere from 10-30%.

It's real balancing act, without just diving in and doing a sysyem upgrade. Otherwise you could get the best CPU and GPU and base system and just be happy out for 3-4 years. I enjoy upgrading along the way though. It's fun. But at some point the system will become imbalanced.

Solution

edifice

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

Hmmm, like i said your CPU is well matched with a 1080. Going for a 2080 will show your CPU limitations more, in about a year or two. I'm not saying you won't get a boost going from a 1080 to a 2080 even at 1080p, just that the 6700k may hold back the RTX a little. Improvement wise, the RTX will defo push more FPS than the GTX, how much is really game dependant. Anywhere from 10-30%.

It's real balancing act, without just diving in and doing a sysyem upgrade. Otherwise you could get the best CPU and GPU and base system and just be happy out for 3-4 years. I enjoy upgrading along the way though. It's fun. But at some point the system will become imbalanced.

Hey Keith12,

I've decided as per what you've said, to leave things as they are. Instead I've decided to get a 1080p 144hz Asus Monitor a VG248QE and instead try and get the most out of my 1080 instead, before eventually upgrading everything!!

Many thanks Keith12!!

If you plan on switching from 1080p to 1440p then I recommend selling 1080 for best price possible $400+ and adding the amount you wanna spend on i9-9900K to get RTX2080Ti that will give you a very decent performance upgrade over GTX1080 for 1440p. i7-6700K can still hold up at 1440p as it will be comparatively less stressed in most games.

TRENDING THREADS