IS this true about GPU's?

yutubemedia

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
I asked on another forum about How to Disassemble Graphics Card because I wanted to install the arctic cooling accelero on my ati 5870......... and they told me "I recommend that you don't do it because the thermal paste on the GPU will not conduct very well if you remove the cooling system and put it back again."
Should i not install a GPU cooler on my card?

Thanks

yutubemedia

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
That's a top notch gpu cooler.
Just make sure you place the cooler onto the GPUs and PCB, on the back you need to secure the X shaped GPU mounts. Mounts are incredible hard to screw secure as there is too much clearance in-between the cooler and the PCB. You have to apply a lot of pressure to the mounts and the PCB so be careful not damaging it coz you wouldve already voided your warranty by disassemblying it

That voids your warranty! WTF, then i dont want to use it! lol....

yutubemedia

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
What you have to strip it down to the PCB lol

But it makes a huge difference in temps I must say. Just look at what I said above and you'll be fine

ya, idk, maby after my warranty is expired, im sure they would know if i ever tried to reconnect it because of all the little stickers or what ever they use

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Manufactures who create your video cards do millions of dollars worth of testing equipment to make sure that their coolers work fine, the fact that your card might run cooler under a aftermarket cooler doesn't mean its life will last longer and chances are, you won't even use your card until it breaks, youll have a new one before it dies out anyway. The only thing a cooler will do for you apprently is give you a peace of mind, so if you want spend...let me refrase that, WASTE money on it then go ahead.
And making it cooler wont make it run faster, you'd have to overclock it to do that.

dishonest? May I ask why you said that?

Let me tell you what happened because presumptions is the mother of all mess ups. I bought a Samsung dvd player from the store. Had problems with it took it back. Got it back a few hours later. couple of weeks later same problem took it back. Next they phoned me up and I can come and fetch it. So again a I gave me problems so I took it back again. They wanted to send it to they're repair centre. Which I frankly had enough and not going to sit and wait. So I demanded a new dvd player. So the guy behind the counter tried to make every possible excuse. So I started talking louder where the other customers turned they're heads. I didn't swear I spoke loudly saying its the third time I had to bring the thing back. The manager came and gave me a new one. So I left the store satisfied. There you go and keep your idiotic comments to yourself please

You are here offering advice to someone who is trying to "cheat". Get something for nothing, or basically, in my opinion steal.
You suggested to this person that you have walked out of a store with items you have not paid for without repercussion, it is not presumption, it is the way you wanted this person to perceive your actions. Exactly.
"just make scene use to walk out of a store with new dvds by making a scene in a store"
This is a common ploy used by criminals all over the world to do exactly, EXACTLY what you just said. How else would you want anyone to interpret your words here? Huh?

I apologize for thinking you a common thief. Persistence, and firmness, and the will not to give up while maintaining excellent composure is a great way to rectify a situation like you had, and I believe that you handled your situation perfectly. But your suggestions following the pretense of this thread are suggesting that OP continue along with his plan deception.

If you had other intentions, why didn't just tell him he didn't need to try sneak anything by or commit fraud, just complain enough that then maybe the old "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" clause will come into effect and they will replace his card for free just to be rid of him.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
in regards to aftermarket coolers voiding your warrenty, depends on the manifacturer, some just require you reattach the origional cooler before sending it back to them for an rma, others if they think one was on mauy void, but done right and unless it uses thermal tape and thus removing is nearly impossible without leaving a trace or residue, but yea if tis a refrence card usually unless you are overclocking (which depending on the manifacturer can also void your warrenty... though almost impossible to prove unless you go too over the top and damage the chip) but if using stock speeds unless your case has no ventilation the refrence cooling should be sufficient