[SOLVED] Is this upgrade necessary or is my current PSU enough?

MacTavish08

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
Hello guys. I recently ordered a GTX 1080 Ti INNO3D X3 version and I was wondering if my current PSU can handle it. I've looked up quite a lot of information online but I simply can't seem to find a concluding answer. I currently own a Corsair CV450 80+ Bronze and I used it for about 8 months with a Gigabyte RX570 with no issues. From what I understand I shouldn't worry about the power consuption since 450 Watt quality PSUs can handle most top tier components. I presume mine would be relatively fit for a higher end system but then again, I've also been able to infer quite the contrary. I'm looking to buy a Corsair TX650M 80+ Gold in case my current PSU won't be sufficient enough for a power hungry card like the 1080 Ti. I was thinking I could undervolt it, reduce the TDP and relatively maintain the same level of performance. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Solution
From what I understand I shouldn't worry about the power consumption since 450 Watt quality PSUs can handle most top tier components. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

450 can handle top tier components ?!

1080 Ti uses 250w, rx570 is 120w. that's more than double. you'll almost certainly need a new psu.

1080Ti is more power hungry than rtx 3070.
Yes, Corsair is good, I recommend 750w though. PSU is so future proof and if you get more than enough, you'll enjoy pleasure of power fan not spinning at all.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
From what I understand I shouldn't worry about the power consumption since 450 Watt quality PSUs can handle most top tier components. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

450 can handle top tier components ?!

1080 Ti uses 250w, rx570 is 120w. that's more than double. you'll almost certainly need a new psu.

1080Ti is more power hungry than rtx 3070.
Yes, Corsair is good, I recommend 750w though. PSU is so future proof and if you get more than enough, you'll enjoy pleasure of power fan not spinning at all.

Reactions: MacTavish08
Solution

MacTavish08

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
I thought so. Well I wanted to buy a RX 5700 XT or 2070 Super but the I managed to find a 1080 Ti for about 30% cheaper than the average asking price for those two. I know it's a fairly old card but I'm not really willing to spend more than 450 dollars at the moment. I snatched the 1080 Ti for about 412 dollars and the cheapest RX 5700 XT I can find at the moment is a whopping 550 dollars USED.

Reactions: LeiHeJun

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
ok, I bought my corsair used. It's so good, I wonder why they sold it?
lots of people want higher wattages and will be more than happy to give away their 650 quality psu with decent price.

I find RM650x and 750 and 850 all around same price when used.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
@MacTavish08
I recommend you buy RMx series instead of TXm .

RMx has 14cm fan, a bigger fan spins less to provide equal wind blow. less spinning means less noise.
Also RMx has zero fan mode, which means when you're not gaming and your watt usage is low, fan doesn't spin at all.
It has 10 years warranty versus 7 years of TXm. and it's fully modular while some cables of TXm are undetachable .

I don't know about amazon prices, but Corsair website says RMx used is 125$ while TXm is 110$. both 650w

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020178-NA#tab-tech-specs

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...es-2017-config/p/CP-9020132-NA#tab-tech-specs

my RMx fan doesn't spin at all. it only spins a few seconds when I turn the pc on. My keyboard is 2nd hand too, guy was so happy I bought it from him, he made a video of packaging it. he went for a Logitech, I'm very happy with my keyboard. a new Corsair would have cost me double the price. my ssd is 2nd hand too, it was used 3 terabytes. worked perfect so far I own it 9 months. I was reading Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs book, he (steve) was working in HP by the time I decided to buy an ssd.

TRENDING THREADS