[SOLVED] Is this upgrade that much better

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
Hi i currently have a i7 7700k. i got a bonus at work and was thinking of upgrading to the i5 10600kf. I was wondering if it is a good upgrade.

Solution
i see so you think there is anything els for a few more hundred that would be more worth it ? it can be amd as well not picky
I don't upgrade just to upgrade, I would only upgrade if their a specific task that your PC is not doing as good as you would like.

Your not going to get a lot of single core performance, the all core performance makes a bigger difference BUT only if what you do with the PC can take advantage of all the cores.

You could sell your processor board and memory (since it is slow at today's standards) That would get a portion of your money back.

I would probably be looking at one of these, with a good CPU cooler and faster memory with the right motherboard for the processor. I personally don't care for AMD...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Your getting about 10% single core performance boost and adding 2 more cores about a 40% increase using all cores 4GB more cache so up to you. You would also have to buy a new motherboard.

The above benchmark is not correct that is a very poor site use PassMark or Cinebench instead.

Last edited:

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Life is short, and you can never have too many toys. On the other hand, if you are that kind of person (and I surmise you are since you are seeking counsel here) for whom the indulgence must be balanced against "common sense", you should upgrade only if you know that the upgrade is fully justified. One way to analyze whether "justification" exists is to apportion monetary "value" to the incremental uptick in performance over your existent rig. The truth is, if you do that, you will not upgrade until Intel's 10nm process is in its 3rd iteration (or AMD's Zen 4 is out which also means you will have to switch to AMD). If you secretly know that you deserve an upgrade, it is best to consider the priceless joy you will experience, and how it will enable you to receive further bonuses in the years to come (after you have considered the wife pacifier factor, of course).

All joking aside, if I were you, I'd wait till the end of the year, and do what you owe to yourself.

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
Life is short, and you can never have too many toys. On the other hand, if you are that kind of person (and I surmise you are since you are seeking counsel here) for whom the indulgence must be balanced against "common sense", you should upgrade only if you know that the upgrade is fully justified. One way to analyze whether "justification" exists is to apportion monetary "value" to the incremental uptick in performance over your existent rig. The truth is, if you do that, you will not upgrade until Intel's 10nm process is in its 3rd iteration (or AMD's Zen 4 is out which also means you will have to switch to AMD). If you secretly know that you deserve an upgrade, it is best to consider the priceless joy you will experience, and how it will enable you to receive further bonuses in the years to come (after you have considered the wife pacifier factor, of course).

All joking aside, if I were you, I'd wait till the end of the year, and do what you owe to yourself.
i was wondering how much of a upgrade it was it has nothing to do with common sens i have extra money i like ot always be at the top with my pc and i have not seen enough research to know if it is better

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
If you have a bonus that gives you free cash, save it for when you really want/need something--then you can just buy it without thinking about the money.
im not to worried about money at all it was a $1000 bonus lol. i was just wondering witch processor would be the best to upgrade to. I did not think i9 was worth it or thread ripper because those are $100 processors. so i was looking for something around the $600-800 range

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
Your getting about 10% single core performance boost and adding 2 more cores about a 40% increase using all cores 4GB more cache so up to you. You would also have to buy a new motherboard.

The above benchmark is not correct that is a very poor site use PassMark or Cinebench instead.
i see so you think there is anything els for a few more hundred that would be more worth it ? it can be amd as well not picky

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I don't upgrade just to upgrade, I would only upgrade if their a specific task that your PC is not doing as good as you would like.

Your not going to get a lot of single core performance, the all core performance makes a bigger difference BUT only if what you do with the PC can take advantage of all the cores.

You could sell your processor board and memory (since it is slow at today's standards) That would get a portion of your money back.

I would probably be looking at one of these, with a good CPU cooler and faster memory with the right motherboard for the processor. I personally don't care for AMD but the price to performance is good.
Any of then should last a long time before needing to upgrade again.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/LhCD4D,QKJtt6,yhxbt6/

Solution