[SOLVED] Is this used pc worth it or is it already outdated

Aug 21, 2019
A local guy is selling this pc for $950cad ($713usd):
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Qks9hy
The only defect is a one-pixel thick vertical line of frozen light blue pixels on the monitor.
With all the peripherals included it seems like a great deal but I'm concerned about it being outdated. I would use it for music production and gaming.
Thoughts?

Solution
My feeling are a bit mixed on it. Performance-wise it still looks decent enough for the money. A new system with similar performance would not cost $3000 though, since newer components have brought that level of performance to lower price points. For example, a CAD $200 Ryzen 2600X should offer similar performance to an i7-5820K, and a $350 GTX 1660 Ti should offer similar performance to a GTX 980 Ti. Those newer components draw less power too, which might also make them a bit quieter to cool depending on their cooler design, which could potentially be better for a music production system. And while a 256GB 950 Pro SSD might technically still outperform a 1TB Intel 660p SSD at certain tasks involving heavy writes, that Intel drive...
A local guy is selling this pc for $950cad ($713usd):
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Qks9hy
The only defect is a one-pixel thick vertical line of frozen light blue pixels on the monitor.
With all the peripherals included it seems like a great deal but I'm concerned about it being outdated. I would use it for music production and gaming.
Thoughts?
Well I wouldn’t take the monitor and you can get a new PC for not much more I think?

While it might be an ok deal, I dont think id take it.
This system was top of the line in its day, however thats not such a good thing for you. When/if you ever go to upgrade you will probably have to do an entire system overhaul, but if you build a midrange system today for similar price and performance, you have more options down the line.

My feeling are a bit mixed on it. Performance-wise it still looks decent enough for the money. A new system with similar performance would not cost $3000 though, since newer components have brought that level of performance to lower price points. For example, a CAD $200 Ryzen 2600X should offer similar performance to an i7-5820K, and a $350 GTX 1660 Ti should offer similar performance to a GTX 980 Ti. Those newer components draw less power too, which might also make them a bit quieter to cool depending on their cooler design, which could potentially be better for a music production system. And while a 256GB 950 Pro SSD might technically still outperform a 1TB Intel 660p SSD at certain tasks involving heavy writes, that Intel drive offers 4 times the capacity for just CAD $125, meaning everything could be installed to the SSD rather than needing to keep most games installed on the slower hard drive. And I suspect that system's monitor is likely going to be in need of replacing.

You are not likely to get better performance out of new hardware for under $1000, but if we ignore the peripherals, getting a bit more performance for not much more than $1200 might be possible, and that also gets you warranty coverage for the components and a more upgradable platform.

Solution
I think it is a reasonable deal.
GTX980ti is a pretty good gaming graphics card.
You likely will want to replace the monitor.

Try it and see how you do.
You can probably sell individual components and reuse the rest.
On ebay, for example, a 5820K and motherboard might sell for $250.
GTX980ti might be $200.
To estimate prices look for the part in used condition on ebay.
Filter on completed auctions and you will see the actual selling price in green.