Question Is this website scamming? If so has anybody actually fallen for it ? XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2021
I will tell you the answer soon as tomorrow I'm ordering a gpu off of them. It seems legitimate in every aspect except from the whole warehouse being a semi-detached. However this could just be where they live incase people want to post requests to them or they could be a family-run company

Oct 1, 2021
https://jmhcomputing.co.uk/index.ph...e+GeForce+RTX+3070+Ti+GAMING+OC+Graphics+Card

I can't seem to find any reviews on trustpilot...nor anywhere else online.

I will tell you the answer soon as tomorrow I'm ordering a gpu off of them. It seems legitimate in every aspect except from the whole warehouse being a semi-detached. However this could just be where they live incase people want to post requests to them or they could be a family-run company

any updates!? lol 3060's for £350 & 2060 for £290

Oct 1, 2021
Good luck getting your money back, eventually.
best thing to do would call the number to see who responds

ask for James Horner

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Good luck I hope you used a CC so you can dispute the charge and not have to pay.

EDIT. another red flag they say 24/7/365 customer service but when you go here it says we're offline leave a message.
https://jmhcomputing.co.uk/index.php?route=information/contact

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyle Q

GaryM

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Scam

Their corporate HQ appears to be a single family semi detached house on Lincoln Ave in Canterbury.
:ptdr:
I like your recon, sir! I ran the same type of property records search a couple of years ago, although in my case it was a little late. It was part of my scam report to PayPal for recovering funds from my ill-advised purchase. I'm wiser for the experience and PayPal was very accommodating with my refund.

GaryM

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
https://jmhcomputing.co.uk/index.ph...e+GeForce+RTX+3070+Ti+GAMING+OC+Graphics+Card

I can't seem to find any reviews on trustpilot...nor anywhere else online.
Even if the purchase turns out to be legit and you receive it, there's still one more potential "gotcha" to consider...

Warranty
"Graphics cards: GIGABYTE provides 3 years warranty from the production date. The warranty applies exclusively to distributors and dealers. End users have to claim the RMA service through dealers where the product was purchased. For the XTREME GAMING series graphic cards with special extended warranty terms, please refer to the product page or XTREME GAMING site."

So what are the odds this vendor is an authorized distributor or dealer? The odds are the same as the value of the warranty. About zero.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Scam, dunno. The Company is legit, it's registered with 1 employee, James Horner, as director. He's been in 3 other small companies as director or at least some sort of officer on record. The liscense is a private liscense, not a commercial one, so it's not a major company like microcenter. It's just a guy doing business out of his house, which in covid times, is getting to be the norm. He might very well be a buyer/seller/repair computer shop, getting parts from tiger direct or eBay etc and fixing up/building pc's and selling parts at a markup. Seriously doubt he's an Authorized Reseller of any equipment and at best anything can be considered 2nd hand merchandise. If unopened, some companies like xfx and Evga May cover the full warranty, but most likely will reduce that to 1 year instead.

So scam, maybe, maybe not, he might be legit and have the stuff, or be able to get the stuff, but what isn't legit is his right to sell anything and be covered under full factory warranty as an Authorized Manufacturers Reseller. Any warranty, written or implied will be totally on him, not Gigabyte.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
We're actually having a discussion about if this is real? This is the level of obvious that will probably involve this "bargain" of a GPU being purchased with Google Play cards given to a guy in a call center in Mumbai who is insistent that his name is "Gary."

Oct 19, 2021
We ordered from them Fri pm and the order says ‘processing’ . Just had the most painful online chat with someone who said that it hadn’t been processed yet as their banking system
Is down but he could process it now manually ..

Oct 19, 2021
‘Darren’ has asked to process the transaction manually so they can process it because ‘the merchant hasn’t fixed the technical error they are having’. ‘Darren keeps going quiet on me. The online chat has been going on for 2.5 hours now. Am thinking I may cancel the order…

Oct 19, 2021
I have apparently cancelled my order this morning after having to go through the entire saga again with a different associate also called ‘Darren’ who called me ‘bro’ I have recorded the chat as I believe it worthy of a book or possibly even sit com material. I would avoid. Even if they have the stock they are so unprofessional they don’t deserve the custom.

Reactions: Kyle Q
Oct 23, 2021
Hey,

Just been investigating this website, it is most definitely a scam. Got it sent to me by a friend. Here are a few red flags I picked up on.

#1 GPUs are "in stock". Yeah, ok buddy.
#2 GPUs are priced TOO good. Too good to be true in this current market.
#3 Tech: their server setup is so sloppy. All ports are open, literally. (who build a website and leaves all the ports open?)
#4 BINGO: The phone number links to another website which is now dead, suggesting they milk the websites for £££ then bail.
7d9630ec-c4e8-48e7-a88f-ee22ce67f164

3221a7fe-f04f-4376-b697-5c7a63953faa

I fetched a cached version of this webpage using google. Of course, google does not cache CSS/JS files, BUT the files and HTML are near identical to this new "jmhcomputing" website.

Also tried to do some digging on their webserver itself since the ports are open. It's poorly secured, the bog-standard username "root" is used, requires either public key or password.

I have sent them an email with my own tracking pixel.
Their mail server is zoho.eu, which is commonly used by scammers. The best thing about Zoho is that their client does not proxy my tracking images. If they open my email, I should get an IP address.
Will report back if I get a good hit on them.

Remember: if it's too good to be true, it's probably a scam.
Stay safe!

Reactions: Kyle Q and GaryM
Status
Not open for further replies.