Is this what my family should be paying for the internet speed?

May 29, 2018
Me and my family live in Iowa and we have Centurylink as our ISP. My older sister pays for the internet and about a year or so ago, I learned how to go on the modem settings and whatnot and discovered that our upstream and downstream were only 21 and 0.9 (Can't remember exact numbers and too lazy to check sry :p). When I looked at the internet bill for the first time shortly after that I saw we were paying 70-ish for only that much. I tried to get my sister to check what what our plan is a few days ago (bit late to start talking about it) but being the ignorant person she is she doesn't know what the login or anything is to check so I've kind of hit a stump. I see on CL's website that up to 60mbps is like 45-55 dollars and we don't even get like half of that and we're paying pretty much twice the price. I've also done speed tests and it's around the same upload and download. Maybe the price has changed over the years since we bought it but i'm still pretty concerned about this. We also get retrains (I hope that's right. Basically our internet is just sh*tting itself and disconnects like once a week which it used to be way more frequent). We've gotten a better router from CL themselves but it still disconnects. I tried my best to give all the info so sorry if this was a bit much :p

USAFRet

Titan
You "pay" for whatever agreement you come to with the ISP.

It is their job to get you to pay as much as possible.
It is your job to do the opposite.

That $70ish may include all sorts of extra junk you do not need.
Modem rental, $10/month "Security", line insurance, etc, etc...

Do you also have phone and/or TV service through them?

May 29, 2018

I'm currently waiting for the next bill to come in to check everything in detail but the $70ish is just the internet. We pay for DirecTV as well which adds the total to a bit above $100. There is also a small rental fee for the modem but that's like 5 dollars.