is this why AMD is kinda hated ? driver sucks.... they said

Insider_1

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
Hello.
starting this thread i would like to state 2 things
i'm not an IT guy , and some of my friends owns AMD ( 5 in total )

so i own a low end laptop because my pc broke , and i have Radeon R5 330 i don 't know if it's kinda decent or not , so i had an offer from the driver to update the driver to the next version / newer version

After updating , i went to play LoL like usual , but guess what , i get an FPS drop every 3 mins in my game , CONSTANTLY , and the fps drop is far greater than the GPU itself , so here is the example

i died and it took me 50 sec to respawn , my game froze ( totally frozen ) when the fight about to start , and my game got unfrozen and i saw my character already respawned , hello ?

so i did a reinstall on the driver because i also can't see CCC in my PC , after the reinstall , wow i can't even see AMD settings on right clicking my desktop , any solution please , also the fact that i am stating that i have friends that owns AMD , they also experiences this kind of problem , and whatever they do , the problem persists , one of them switched to Nvidia since he said that it is less problematic

To the question in your title, no AMD's drivers do not have a record of being worse than Nvidia's. Software development is a tricky process. Changes made in a new driver revision may increase performance in some games, while harming performance in others. As can a minor bug in the installation process.

Download CCleaner. Use it to ensure all aspects of the AMD graphics driver have been removed. Then download and install a fresh copy of the driver. If that doesn't resolve the issue, re-use CCleaner, and install the previous driver version that didn't give you issues.

Insider_1

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017

Thank you for your answer , the previous driver that has no issues was 17.2.2 if i'm not mistaken
i tried using CCleaner and AMD cleanup utility , but still , the issues persists , i can't see AMD settings on right clicking on desktop , and my game still froze constantly

My advice for people using laptops/notebooks is to use the driver from the manufacturer of the computer, not from AMD. The laptop drivers are tuned for that computer and its features, if you put the standard AMD driver on it then you lose all that. Not only that, but depending on the age of your computer, new drivers might offer nothing to you in benefits, yet may actually make things worse. Go to the official computer site for what you have and get the latest drivers they offer there.

To be fair, both ATI/AMD and nVidia have released drivers that caught cards on fire. The AMD Crimson 15.11 drivers and both nVidia 196.75 and 364.47 because they didn't learn the first time.

Both companies have had on occasion drivers that did not completely install properly or get corrupted to cause performance issues or BSODs.

If you install Crimson (17.6.2 and 17.4.4 are the latest), then you shouldn't ever see CCC. The last version to have CCC was Catalyst 15.7.1 WHQL. Of course if you install that in Windows 10 then you will have an adventure in trying to stop Windows from updating to the latest driver which breaks CCC. It's the same issue when installing the computer manufacturer's working driver--Windows thinks it knows better than you, what's good for you.

If you can't get anything else working, try AMD Minimal Setup which installs drivers-only with no control panels of any sort. That will at least tell you if it's the driver that's the issue.

I must sincerely and respectfully disagree. Whilst I only have the inconsequential anecdotal evidence(what he said and she said and I've experienced over 30 years with desktop). I've had problems in the past with AMD CCC drivers. I've also heard about more issues with AMD drivers crashing and restarting. I can only tell you what I know first hand and what I've heard. It's just an opinion. I've not had a recent AMD card so I don't have experience with Crimson.

Nvidia have had their fair share of issues as well. Some top end cards literally caught fire and it wasn't a mechanical error.

What I do agree with is the driver issue. Have you ever visited your device manager and seen Rollback Driver? Good reason for that. Newer is not always better. That'll usually work for Windows updates if a disk cleanup program such as the aforementioned Ccleaner hasn't been run. I've seen Nvidia's driver archive but can't readily find AMD's.

The best advice I can offer is, If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Always employ the KISS principle.

In short, try an older driver.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html DDU is used by some when changing driver versions. It is also usually run in a clean boot situation or in safe mode. Isn't required.

1. use DDU wipe the driver you have installed on your laptop, then reboot, download a fresh copy of the driver last known version that worked (preferably from manufacturer of laptop as AMD chips in laptops are mounted on hardware that was designed by manufacturers compared to pcie cards in desktops which is not the same technology.

2. amd, ati, NVidia and old and past dead video cards all have had and will have at one point issues with rolling updates to drivers. I have an ATI HD 7700 on a desktop and I now I disabled updating driver on my computer, why, it crashed the computer, at one point the drivers have updated to a point where its no longer beneficial to the video card you have.

Insider_1

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
Well now what should i do , i did reinstalls , total cleanup and things
still , my game freezes constantly , just imagine this , in 9 minutes of game time i froze 4 times and each freeze goes for more than 50 seconds........ i can't say it's the GPU itself that can't run the game , because it sometimes goes fine on teamfights ( with many visual effects ) and it froze on a scene where there was just nothing , i was at base with literally nothing but an animation of a flowing water
i tried installing 3 versions , 17.2.1 ( if i'm not mistaken ) 17.6.2 and 17.4.4
problem still persists , before this issue , i installed 17.2.1 , damn i really regret updating my driver

Find the exact driver version you had before. It should be available somewhere, just run a search.

If that doesn't fix it, then you may be forced into re-installing Windows. That would be unfortunate, but sometimes it happens.

@aquielisunari: If you have been in the industry for 30 years, then you would remember a time when ATI's drivers were terrible, and far worse than Nvidia's. That may be weighing on your mind some, but fortunately that has changed. Don't get me wrong, they certainly aren't perfect. Both Nvidia and AMD I think have more issues than they should with drivers. But for everyone with doom stories about AMD drivers, there will be one with the same to say about Nvidia. But that doesn't mean either company's drivers gives sufficient reason to stay away.

That much is true. I guess my answer wasn't exactly current but it was a truth.

Insider_1

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017

Thanks for your help.

but I just resintalled my window Completely , the drivers too , i downloaded 17.2.1 , the same that i had before , apparently , the cancer lag won't go away....

damn

Insider_1

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
This thread was made in 1st of July , and now it's 4th of July and i still have the issue
i tried reinstalling the windows and reinstalling every version of drivers
guess unlucky stuff just strikes

Insider_1

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017

Still doesn't work

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Its entirely possible the problem isnt driver related.

Install CPU-Z and GPU-Z, check the game is actually using the correct GPU (you can check the load on each GPU on GPU-z), check the temps of your CPU also.

Insider_1

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017

it's using AMD and the game i tested are
LoL , dota 2 , Terraria , Viscera cleanup detail , Grim Dawn , CS:GO . Warframe and Payday 2
this happens after i updated the driver
i took my laptop to a Tech Center and all they did was reinstall the windows and all the drivers without asking me to backup files , ( i have 10mb internet speed which means it will take years to redownload stuffs ) they said it's done
but guess what
my laptop is cursed

Insider_1

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
8 of July , the issue just getting worse
i get a freeze every minute
can't last a minute without my laptop goes to freeze and has to wait like another minute for it to fix itself
i tried every solution you guys gave me , i highly appreciate it
but i still got the issue

Insider_1

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017

just done it , i had a battery issue and i replaced it just an hour ago at a local store
still no fix for the amd issue

Insider_1

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017

Thanks for removing my update, i really have to remind myself on how to politely speak

Update
15th of July
so i made a few tests , the freezes / total fps drop happens for like an hour after i start a game
i get like 1min freeze like every less than 2 minutes , and it happens for like an hour , but after an hour ( more a less ) my game just.. goes fine , no lag , no fps drop

but well , if i ALT + Tab / restart the game
it happens again

TRENDING THREADS