Is this worth the price "$895"

Sbaak

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
CPU: AMD FX-6100, Black Edition, 3.3Ghz Six Core (3.7Ghz Turbo)
Memory: 16Gb Kingston "Hyper X" High Performance Memory.
Hard Drive: 120GB SanDisk Solid State Drive. (Storage drives also available - See Below)
Graphics: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6870 w/1GB Dedicated Video Memory, 2xDVI, Displayport and HDMI outputs.
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme w USB 3.0, 6GB Sata, 2 PCI-Express slots w/crossfire support. 6 USB ports (2X USB 3.0), 6X SATA ports, onboard ethernet and 8 channel audio.
Optical Drive: Samsung Blu-Ray drive with CD/DVD Burner.
Power Supply: 600W w/Dedicated 6/8 Pin PCI-E connector.

for sale on a local classifieds site

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
Sounds like you could get that new for that price....That's a $150 CPU and a $160 GPU.
$85 worth of RAM. $100 MB.
Power supplies can be had for $50=$80 and do you really want or need a Blu-ray drive and a SSD?
The SSD is priced at $120 BTW and you still need an HDD.
OH! And do you get the original Win 7 disc and activation no.? And how do you know he doesn't have it on another drive?

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
That's a no-name PSU and a weak gaming card. Also a very smal HD. He has his parts overpriced and still wants $200 labor for the build(at least he's honest about that). I personaly wouldn't go over $500 but I know I can build a computer. If this is your first computer, check out some local shops and se what you can buy for $900.

donlev

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

The psu is a non issue as it could be replaced easily as long as the price is right.

I have never seen the case for less than $120, The mobo is at least $169 at the cheapest I've ever seen it so that is $290. Then there is the i5 2500k that is $219 which brings the total to $510. Now you add a small hdd even if he got it less than he said, it was at least $50, so that is $560. Then you add $50 worth of ram and your at $610. Now add a dvd drive and you are at $630.Then add win7 and you are at $730. A 550 ti will max out BF3 on a 20" widescreen. (Not every body needs a 30" screen to see their game) So add the cost of the 550 ti and that is another $139 if you find a rebate, bringing your total to about $870. Whatever the brand is on the psu I am sure it cost him a price. lets just say $30. So now we are at the $900 I said I wouldn't pay over. And all this assumes that he should build it for you for free. And lets not forget ebay who wants almost 10% of the sale so if he got the $900 he would really need $80 more to pay them so theres $980 , and then Paypal wants %5 so theres another $40 so then the value is closer to $1020,just to break even and why should he want to do all this without a little proffit?

And the starting bid is only $100. He is trying to liquidate stock from a recently closed shop and I am sure his reserve price is much lower than the $900, Probably close to the $500 you mentioned, but lets not pretend that that is all it is worth. Lets call it what it is, a great deal!!!
So I tell you what DelroyMonjo , You put me together a kick but gamer like this and sell it to me for $500 and I will buy every one you will sell me.

We will see how far that goes before you run out of money.

I guess when you live in mommys basement you learn to expect something for nothing.

donlev

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

No problem, I just bought my pc from the guy last month and I am rocking any game I can thro at it.
I went to comp. science class with this guy and I know how meticulous he is . He built me a i5 2500k system in a storm snyper case with an Asus maximus iv gen-z mobo. I only have a 550 ti and I am maxing out Bf3 with only occasional bumps below 50 fps with a 20" wide screen 1600x 900.

I understand that you may not want the pc, but it really sounded like you were saying it wasn't worth bothering with, and I know comp. science taught me enough to see it as a great deal as long as the bidding doesn't get outrageous.
I do know he is truthful about it being brand new because, he was only getting the parts for it when he finished mine. Besides , its a gen3 board, how long have those been out?

I have my preference for mobos #1 Asus, #2 MSI, #3 Gigabyte. Beyond that I'm not going to buy it anyway so no sense in rating it. lol

So, original poster, good luck with your purchase,let us know what you decide on!

And DelroyMonjo, Thanx and Sorry!!!

If you are open to CPU choice, check out gaming only reviews of the "CPU: AMD FX-6100, Black Edition, 3.3Ghz Six Core (3.7Ghz Turbo) ". I think you'll find you want an I5-2300 or better from intel rather than an AMD in a $900 gaming build.

I don't think there is a good $900 AMD build. Last $1200 AMD build I saw got kicked by the $600 intel based build. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-overclock-crossfire-ssd,3098.html "...So, if you want to argue that the $184 Core i5-2300 would make a better comparison, consider that the FX-6100 would still need to be overclocked to 4.5 GHz to match that processor's out-of-box performance...."

(If you are an AMD fan wait 6 months, AMD may be back in the hunt. They are not right now. I wish they were. I like AMD and still have a few AMD based systems kicking around doing video HTPC duty. But not gaming.)

Lol the AMD chips suck right now. Even in multi-thread they barely eek out a win.

Here's the i5 2500K vs the FX-8120 (same price):
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=288
In single thread the 8120 is crushed and especially in gaming. The FX-8120 barely wins in 1/2 of the benchmarks for multi-threading so you tell me which is better? Also the i5 2500K or Sandy Bridge chips in general can maintain great efficiency even after a 4.6GHZ overclock but AMD chips efficiency shoots way down and generates lots of heat and consumes wayyyy too much power.

That build isn't worth more than $700. Even with that SSD and the 16GB of ram. THe FX-6100 is terrible. THG did marathon build with it and had Crossfire 6950, it bottlenecked in every single game at 60 FPS. You'd be better off with the i5 2300/2400.