Question Is this worth the risk? Is it a good deal?

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
i'm pretty eager to get my hands on a new graphics card for my rig, i'm wondering if i should buy a prebuilt, swap out the gpu and sell the rest on with my spare keyboard, mouse and monitor, trying to get a 3060 for as cheap as possible really but not trying to rip anyone off either

my rig

Ryzen 7 2700x stock cooler
msi b450 mortar max motherboard
32gb 3200 corsair lpx ram 4x8 dimm(at 2133, known issue)
rx 570 4gb msi armour
cx650watt psu
and storage

The prebuilt i would be getting

ryzen 5 3600, stock cooler
rtx 3060 (unsure exact model, looks like a gigabyte card but probably varies)
16gb 3000 corsair lpx ram
gigabyte b450 motherboard (unsure exact model)
240gb ssd
1tb hdd
corsair cv 550watt psu

The prebuilt cost £1100 in the uk, i would be selling it on with the rx 570, monitor is a benq g240hd, old but still better than e-waste keyboard and mouse, microsoft sidewinder x-25, don't know the keyboards brand

I was thinking to ask for around £800 but that feels a little high to me, so i have come here to hopefully get a few 2nd opinions, i'd highly appreciate to hear if you think it would be a good deal or not, what would be sold on would be a pretty solid pc for a startup gamer at that price

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you are doing that, might as well get more newer parts out of it.

Find a decent pre-built with a nice power supply, the memory you would want to upgrade to, heck even a faster processor than the 2700X.

Then sell on the new motherboard, your old power supply, old CPU, old memory, and GPU. Keep your storage and motherboard only?

Hard to weigh the costs I suppose, don't quite know what a Ryzen 2700X + RX570 might sell for.

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Thanks for the advice, it has been something i am conidering, only thing is that at the moment i have a working pc, i'm happy with it and i got a good deal i think, if i went up to a 5800x, that could be a nice upgrade but i don't think it will blow me away, a 5900x would blow me away but either one would also blow up my budget. even with the potential to resell the 2nd system it would still cost a pretty penny.

i'm happy to keep this current build until am5 is a thing i can afford, apart from the graphics card which is the only thing i want to change on the pc, my rx 570 is nice for 1080p gaming but it's sadly a little too slow for the kinds of games that will be releasing soon, i'm in no rush to upgrade but would definitely do it if i could get the graphics card for close to msrp, drop it in and the pc is finished, can ofcourse wait another couple months for stocking issues to resolve ofcourse and hope amd's fsr saves me in the meantime.

The 2nd hand pc market can be so hard to predict, wish i had spent the extra £30 on the 8gb model of my card and £800 for the machine would of been an amazing deal, been looking to see on ebay what comparable machines are selling for but i always find just asking people what they think or would personally pay or have paid themselves is usually better, you can also ask them why they spent their money and see which parts people value more when 2nd hand

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
If you can buy it for the regular retail price, I'd get it. If they are charging you scalpers prices on account of that video card, I'd wait.

It's hard to say as the ad does not have a cost by component breakdown but i reckon they are charging about £400 for the card as the other components come closer to £600, then the charges to put it together, tech support and any testing the seller may do before shipping, which is a cost i would have to absorb to sell on the machine, so im ok paying that extra £100 and in 2021 paying even close to msrp might be the deal as we have no idea which way prices and stock will go.

Can also get the same prebuilt for £1150 with a 5600x instead, which adds a good bit of resale value, If i could get £750 for that machine w/without the peripherals, it would be a good deal to get the gpu for £400

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I think you would be surprised by a 5600X or 5800X compared to the 2700X. A fine CPU, but it wasn't much faster than high end Intel 6th gen chips. Probably looking at 30-40% IPC improvement and the much reduced latencies inside the CPU make it more than competitive with Intel's latest.

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
I think you would be surprised by a 5600X or 5800X compared to the 2700X. A fine CPU, but it wasn't much faster than high end Intel 6th gen chips. Probably looking at 30-40% IPC improvement and the much reduced latencies inside the CPU make it more than competitive with Intel's latest.

A 5600x would be a little bit of a sidegrade for me, think 30-40% more IPC for 33% less cpu, yea those cores are faster but it's a bit of a compromise for the money i'd be spending, the hassle of checking my motherboard bios can handle the chip and dealing with any issues that would arise from swapping parts between otherwise fully working machines, is in my mind not worth the risk.

i'm expecting any prebuilt to come with the cheapest possible motherboard and psu combinations so a complete teardown of both systems to swap the cpu to the better motherboard and hoping the newer board supports my older cpu, can be alot of easily avoided hassle, whereas in my current plan i just swap the gpu and drivers on both machines which is easy enough.

maybe the hassle would be worth it for a 5800x but if after all that it fails to wow me with improvement then i'll probably feel like i've wasted time and money

I can't lie though, i might be tempted to go through the hassle of swapping cases, i have a CiT Blaze and it's pretty crap but the case the prebuilt is gorgeous, i'd buy it separately though

Amazon Prebuilt in question

i'm more and more tempted everyday by this, having a look on facebook marketplace and people are selling hot garbage for the same price i would be asking for a full setup, will save up another 2-3 months and depending on the state of the market by then i'll probably do it, Again it would be identical to the prebuilt linked above, with an msi armour rx 570 4gb, never mined or overclocked, 2 years old.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A 5600x would be a little bit of a sidegrade for me, think 30-40% more IPC for 33% less cpu, yea those cores are faster but it's a bit of a compromise for the money i'd be spending, the hassle of checking my motherboard bios can handle the chip and dealing with any issues that would arise from swapping parts between otherwise fully working machines, is in my mind not worth the risk.

i'm expecting any prebuilt to come with the cheapest possible motherboard and psu combinations so a complete teardown of both systems to swap the cpu to the better motherboard and hoping the newer board supports my older cpu, can be alot of easily avoided hassle, whereas in my current plan i just swap the gpu and drivers on both machines which is easy enough.

maybe the hassle would be worth it for a 5800x but if after all that it fails to wow me with improvement then i'll probably feel like i've wasted time and money

I can't lie though, i might be tempted to go through the hassle of swapping cases, i have a CiT Blaze and it's pretty crap but the case the prebuilt is gorgeous, i'd buy it separately though

Amazon Prebuilt in question

i'm more and more tempted everyday by this, having a look on facebook marketplace and people are selling hot garbage for the same price i would be asking for a full setup, will save up another 2-3 months and depending on the state of the market by then i'll probably do it, Again it would be identical to the prebuilt linked above, with an msi armour rx 570 4gb, never mined or overclocked, 2 years old.

That only applies to CPU tasks that actually use 100% of the cores. This is not common. For most things the higher core clocks and IPC of the new chips will be preferable.

Still though, if you are looking at a 3600, I agree.

Slightly suspicious:

Graphics Coprocessor‎Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060
Graphics Card Description‎GTX 1070 8GB

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
That only applies to CPU tasks that actually use 100% of the cores. This is not common. For most things the higher core clocks and IPC of the new chips will be preferable.

Still though, if you are looking at a 3600, I agree.

Slightly suspicious:

Graphics Coprocessor‎Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060
Graphics Card Description‎GTX 1070 8GB

That is true, however i don't believe it will be too long before 8 cores for gaming is the norm, especially as the latest AAA games are larger in scope and complexity, plus the consoles being 8 cores i think will really push things along, something like watch dogs legion or anno 1800, 100% prefer 8 cores over 6, some games nowadays can use 12 cores, it's not common yet but with the prevalence of consumer grade 12 core chips, more games may be optimised in future to take full advantage of this.

for me, i'm waiting with my cpu, it's more than fine for me now, by the time i upgrade from it, it will probably be the 2nd iteration of am5, i don't want to buy into the first gen of that or ddr5, as they will be beyond my budget for a time, ideally i would be looking to upgrade cpu, ram mobo in 2-3 years, 12-16 cores or more depending on whats available then

^^I found that odd too, probably an honest mistake on their part, however i would immediately check it with gpu-z and amazon would absolutely cover that kind of thing with their customer guarantee, so it's not too much of a risk if it did arrive with a 1070

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Same for me, grabbed the 10900F just to have a higher core count for the time being.

DDR5 will be an interesting topic. All the companies are already announcing speeds well above the initial specification, but without hard availability dates. DDR4-3600 CL16 is probably still going to be worth it over something like DDR5 6400 CL40, at least for games.

And who knows how overclocking will be with integrated voltage regulators.

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
A 10900f sounds about perfect for now, i've also just heard that intel is dropping prices for their cpu's just recently, will be interesting to see the effect on market share before their new lineup comes out, i really hope this goes well for them, things are advancing so quickly now that they have stiff competition with amd, it makes it exciting but confusing and hard to keep up with

it's going to be really interesting to see how the next year or two pans out, I'm thinking ddr5 will have a rocky start, i was much younger when ddr4 came out but i do remember it took a year or two to really hit the market, seems more than reasonable to assume that this will also be true for ddr5, first gen tech and first gen problems are not something i want to deal with

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
That sounds like a bad experience, i suppose if your someone who values being on the bleeding edge of performance you may see problems like that as something that comes with the territory and thats not so bad i guess, there is always going to be a downside to brand new hardware

TRENDING THREADS