[SOLVED] Is this worth

Jun 28, 2019
At the moment I have an Inspiron 5680 ( DELL ). I've recently decided that I want to change the case, add some more fans ( only came with 1 exhaust ), Better Cpu Cooler, A new Mobo, the SSD, and buy W10.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bLG2Hh

The link above is for the build I want to "upgrade" to. ( The GPU is not right. I couldn't find my exact one on the website, I have so Hynix/Dell GPU 1060 3GB. The PSU is also wrong, as before I could not find the exact model so I found one pretty similar. Except mines NON-MODULAR )

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
So you are keeping the CPU, memory, and GPU? New everything else?

If that is a Dell OEM power supply you should consider replacing that as well. Not really intended for long duration gaming.

For as much as you are changing, I would almost say to sell what you have as a complete unit, excepting the GPU, and build from scratch. You are going to be losing money either way.

The new Ryzen 3000 CPUs launch next week. They have cheap motherboards (with overclocking), and the CPUs should do as well or better (with overclocking) than any of the non-unlocked chips from Intel.

Ryzen 5 3600 is a 6 core 12 thread CPU with a maximum boost of 4.2Ghz. I5-8400 is a 6 cores 6 thread with a boost of 4.0Ghz. (Base clock difference is 1Ghz in favor of AMD), and you can overclock the Ryzen chip. Now a direct numbers comparison is a little unfair, but, it does look good for AMD at the moment.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Refined your build a bit:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 33 CPU Cooler ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - H370 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.00)
Memory: Crucial - 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Crucial - 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Mushkin - PILOT 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB SSC GAMING Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $394.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-01 16:08 EDT-0400

Changes made

CPU cooler: Hyper 212 Evo -> Arctic Freezer 33
Hyper 212 Evo is a poor excuse for a CPU cooler and it's not much better from the Intel's stock CPU cooler. For good mid-sized CPU cooler, Arctic Freezer 33 is one of the best options (150mm tall, no RAM clearance issue, support for push-pull, comes with semi-passive fan),
specs: https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/freezer-33.html

In my Skylake build (full specs with pics in my sig), i have the predecessor of Freezer 33 in use, known as Freezer i32. Since both CPU coolers include semi-passive fan, you'll have 0 dB(A) noise output on low CPU loads. For me, the stock semi-passive fan didn't turn at all until my CPU reached 52°C. And when the fan started to spin, it was very quiet due to the fluid-dynamic bearing. Highest what i saw out of my i5-6600K was 55°C during CinebenchR15 while my CPU idles at 26°C.
Performance wise, Arctic Freezer 33 and i32 have the same cooling performance. Only difference between them is that Freezer i32 only has Intel mounting bracket while Freezer 33 comes with Intel and AMD AM4 mounting brackets.
Freezer i32 review: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/arctic-freezer-i32-cooler,review-33860.html

When comparing Freezer 33 with Hyper 212 Evo, Freezer 33 has:
  • shorter height (150mm vs 159mm)
  • better fan bearing (fluid-dynamic bearing vs sleeve bearing)
  • far longer longevity for a fan (300.000 hours vs 40.000 hours)
  • a lot longer warranty (6 years vs 2 years)
  • much quieter fan (22 dB(A) vs 36 dB(A))
  • 0 dB(A) noise output (on low loads, fan doesn't turn at all vs constantly turning fan)
  • support for AM4 sockets off the bat (Hyper 212 Evo needs AM4 upgrade kit which you need to buy separately)

Hyper 212 Evo specs as well: http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-212-evo/

MoBo: Put in the latest pricing of the MoBo, so you could see how much it may cost.

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 3G -> EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SSC Gaming
This change is just to better reflect the looks of the GPU you have. You seem to have blower-style GPU in there but since blower-type GTX 1060 3GB GPUs are rare and not listed in pcpp listing, put in EVGA GPU which resembles blower-type GPU the most.

PSU: Corsair CXm550 (semi-modular) -> Corsair CX550 (fully-wired)
Since you said you have fully wired CX550 in there, i put the correct PSU in your pcpp list.
Note: if you do have the stock Dell PSU in there, go with new PSU as well since Dell PSUs are known to have proprietary power connectors that don't fit mainstream MoBos. For new PSU, any of these will do fine,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/bkp323,KmgzK8,XndxFT,dstQzy/

Also, i set the parts that you already have as "Purchased", so it's better for you to see the total cost of the upgrade.

Solution
Jun 28, 2019
Thanks for such a detailed and helpful comment! This actually helps me out alot. For now ill most likely be keeping the SSD I have which is primarily used to boot windows and other features. Honestly couldn't have asked for a better :).