Is this X2 4400 safe to sell?

mar1974

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Hi, doing a new system build here. Upgrading from a S939 4400 1mb cache to a 720 BE ph2.

I would like to ebay my old chip, however I have some questions if you think my chip is messed up and therefore garbage.

I have a jetway 939 sli mb. The motherboard is on her last days. Busted caps, leaking caps...etc I keep getting heat warnings from the mb, if I dont turn thermal throttling off, it beeps and says my cpu is way too hot and throttles back the pc. Now when I go to read the temps, say in everest or at bios on boot, it always says wacky numbers. Like when I boot it gives me temps that are not even of this world, like at boot it will say 1 degree C and 300 degrees F. Or sometimes itll reverse and say 150 C and 10 F. Those temps are obviously wrong. But also in everest on the chip it says CPU core 0 and 1 are at 30 to 32c idle and mid 40s under load.

So my question is, do you think both the chip and mobo are bad or just the mobo? The mobo is going in the garbage when my ph2 parts arrive, I just wanna know if I can sell the chip, I dont wanna rip someone off with a bad chip.

Also why is it that Ive seen these 939 4400 1mb cache chips going for 120 to 140 US on ebay?

Thanks in advance

Link to my new build just in case. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263073-31-build

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
IMO, those cpu's on ebay are very overpriced and nobody who knows what they're buying would pay that much for it. just throw it in a closet and don't worry about it.

mar1974

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Good point about the doa warranty. I didnt think of that.

I guess though even though I can sell it I'm still kind of curious as to what its problem was. Im just nerdy like that lol.

Are there 2 sets of cpu temp probes? one on the chip, which is the one i get accurate readings, and 1 probe on the M/B which is giving the crazy land readings.

Now im just curious about it is all.

thanks again.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
In addition, don't throw you MB in the trash. Please recycle it. Do a search on google I am sure you will be able to find a place in your area that will be happy to take it off your hands.

FYI I have seen 939 X2 3800+ processors going for over 80 bucks on ebay. If you can test it on another mb to make sure that it is stable then you can sell it for a decent price, if not sell it as is as dragon has said.