Is This Zotac's Smallest ZBOX Mini-PC To Date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianj14

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
On a device like that, I'd prefer they offered it for 50 less without an OS. I have been looking for a micro linux server, just to ssh into now and then.

Great likes think a mind. I like the idea of low power servers that take up very little space.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
$199?? Yeesh. You can buy a tablet with the same processor/ram and storage for $157 right now. Actually the processor is a bit faster, it's the Z3740. This thing is nice and all, but should be selling for less than a tablet with better specs.

$199?? Yeesh. You can buy a tablet with the same processor/ram and storage for $157 right now. Actually the processor is a bit faster, it's the Z3740. This thing is nice and all, but should be selling for less than a tablet with better specs.

Besides the Windows license. You have to factor in scale of production which affects price a lot. They are not producing anywhere near as many of these as the tablets. So they don't get close to the same discounts.

adamdbz

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
While this is cool it is kind of expensive for what it is.

I have a Raspberry Pi for xbmc it is smaller and cheaper, while being a lot weaker.. but it plays 30 gigs of 1080p movies with no problem over cat 5e.

fmaxwell

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

Who the f*** cares about a tablet when looking for a shirt-pocket size PC? That's like me telling you that your laptop PC sucks because I can get a desktop PC with a faster CPU for $40 less. If you need a wristwatch, then it doesn't matter how cheap some wall clock is.

fmaxwell

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

Does the $157 tablet run a desktop version of Windows? Does it fit into your shirt pocket? Does it have an Ethernet port, Wireless N and Bluetooth 4.0, multiple USB ports and an SSD (not flash -- a real SSD with wear leveling)? No; so it does not have "better specs."

If you need a wristwatch, then you don't care how much a wall clock costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.