Question Is tightening timings worth it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2720853

Mobo: ROG Strix B550-F, BIOS 1202
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
RAM: 4x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 16-16-16-36 1.35v (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZN)

I exported my Thaiphoon Burner settings and imported them into the Ryzen DRAM calculator, and got these results:

Ryzen_DRAM_Calculator_1.7.3_h31qSjODMK.png

And here is my current AIDA64 Cache & Memory benchmark. I'm wondering if these are expected results or not:

aida64_dai5qduqV0.png

Now, I don't know if doing this would be worth it at all. My last experience with timings was a corrupted BIOS. Wasn't fun.

Is my stock XMP profile enough? Compare timings is on so feel free to let me know if the timings on the right (which are mine) are good enough.

Lutfij

Titan
Do you have scores for the ram kit prior to the tightening? You can compare them and see if you've gained more frames per second, well, assuming that this is a gaming system and improving the timings helps bring the most out of the platform or getting a higher frequency, bonus if you can achieve both.

IMHO, 1.4v for a minor tightening, isn't bad, though you will need to see if you loose stability with tighter timings without touching the voltage.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Do you have scores for the ram kit prior to the tightening? You can compare them and see if you've gained more frames per second, well, assuming that this is a gaming system and improving the timings helps bring the most out of the platform or getting a higher frequency, bonus if you can achieve both.

IMHO, 1.4v for a minor tightening, isn't bad, though you will need to see if you loose stability with tighter timings without touching the voltage.
That IS the score on stock XMP profile.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Okay so instead of tightening a lot of timings, which I tried, and seemed stable but got a black screen on reboot, I only lowered tRFC from the horrendous 630!! to 288 which should give me a 160ns delay instead of 350ns!!

HWiNFO64_qbp8LP9aoP.png

And guess what? Only doing that brought my latency from 71ns to 66.7 ns which I'm more than happy with. System is stable too.

Why was the tRFC so high in the first place? Shouldn't it be around 140-180ns on B-die?

TRENDING THREADS