Question Is Tomahawk B450 compatible with ryzen 3700X?

Jun 7, 2023
I'm thinking about buying a tomahawk b450 for Ryzen 3700X are they gonna work fine or will there be an issue with the motherboard supporting the CPU? I have heard that I'll need to flash the bios to make it work is this true?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
depends on the age of the motherboard. many boards needed a bios update to run the 3000 series and then again when the 5000 series came out.

newer stock was updated before it was sold and many can now run even the 5000 series out of the box. most likely since the 3000 series is old enough now, it will work out of the box.

i've built a number of systems in the last 6 months with both 3000 and 5000 series cpu's and only a couple times have i had to update the bios first. i've used b450/b550 and the x variants. they've pretty well all been ready out of the box.

there is of course the possibility it may not work out of the box and you'll have to flash it first but it is more and more unlikely to happen. look at the box as it will usually have a sticker saying "ryzen 3000 ready" or 5000 if it's updated for that.

Jun 7, 2023
depends on the age of the motherboard. many boards needed a bios update to run the 3000 series and then again when the 5000 series came out.

newer stock was updated before it was sold and many can now run even the 5000 series out of the box. most likely since the 3000 series is old enough now, it will work out of the box.

i've built a number of systems in the last 6 months with both 3000 and 5000 series cpu's and only a couple times have I had to update the bios first. I've used the b450/b550 and the x variants. they've pretty well all been ready out of the box.

there is of course the possibility it may not work out of the box and you'll have to flash it first but it is more and more unlikely to happen. look at the box as it will usually have a sticker saying "Ryzen 3000 ready" or 5000 if it's updated for that.
What if the motherboard and the Ryzen 7 are 2 years old but haven't been used once, will they still work fine or not?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it will still work. though as stated above if it is not already updated you will have to update the bios first. the only way to know if the box does not state it is ready, is to put the cpu in and see what happens.

the good news is the tomahawk can update the bios without needing a cpu installed. so if it needs it, then simply plug in a usb with it, push the flash bios button and it updates. nothing to worry about since it's so easy to update it.

I'm thinking about buying a tomahawk b450 for Ryzen 3700X are they gonna work fine or will there be an issue with the motherboard supporting the CPU? I have heard that I'll need to flash the bios to make it work is this true?
If it's a Tomahawk MAX board it should work out-of-the box with a 3700x. But update BIOS to the latest anyway to get all the performance, security, memory and Win 11 compatibility fixes and it will work great.

If it's NOT the MAX variant it may need to update BIOS before it will work with your processor so update first, also to the latest for the same reasons. Using the BIOS flashback proved to be a bit sketch for many early on, but follow the correct procedure and it does work; it is picky. Here's a good video with tips to help make your update successful. He's using a MAX board but it works the same for non-MAX.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArPoRPecZ_s

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS