[SOLVED] Is upgrade needed?

Delythien

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out which (if any) PC components I should replace to play the following games (and similar) seamlessly:
  • Subnautica
  • Planet Coaster (when I have a lot of roller-coasters and people coming in, the game slows down and becomes completely unplayable)
  • The Sims 3
  • Cities: Skylines
Games like Cities: Skylines can be modded and will increase the amount of objects that can be rendered and graphics can be greatly increased.

My current specs are:
CPU: i5-4690K
Motherboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 5
GPU: GeForce GTX 960 GAMING 2G
PSU: Corsair RM550X
RAM: 2x DDR3 8GB
SSD: 1x 1GB, 1x 256MB
HDD: 1x 1GB

Now ... I have a spare 2x DDR4 8GB which I'd like to put to use, but my Z97 motherboard only supports DDR3.
That's why I'm thinking of buying a GIGABYTE Z490 Gaming X motherboard. Unless you have a better (but budget) suggestion?
I also might be able to get a hold of GTX 1080 GPU, which would fit the new motherboard nicely.

I believe my PSU is quite good, so my question here mainly is ... should I actually replace my CPU or not?
I'm not much of a technical person, so I don't really know if upgrading the CPU would actually benefit to running the mentioned games.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :giggle:

Solution
I've listed the Z490 Gaming X because I've read it's a good budget choice to go after. If you have any better suggestions, I'm all ears.
It's not that, it's that your CPU is 4th gen but thats a 10th gen board. And to use DDR4, you won't be able to keep your current CPU. So it's about what issues you are currently facing with your performance and then prioritising the right upgrade.

If you go for RAM, you'll have to upgrade motherboard and CPU also.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
if upgrading the CPU would actually benefit to running the mentioned games.
Well if you plan on upgrading to a Z490 Gaming X, you have NO CHOICE but to upgrade your CPU.

Planet Coaster is very CPU heavy, but also not incredibly well optimised so will limit most CPUs after so many people enter the parks.

What monitor refresh rate and resolution will you also be running at?
How long have you have the PSU?

Delythien

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Planet Coaster is very CPU heavy
Hm, that's good to know.

What monitor refresh rate and resolution will you also be running at?
60Hz with 1920x1080 resolution, 27'' if that matters.

How long have you have the PSU?
It's fairly new. I've had it for about a year, but been using it only for the last two months.

Well if you plan on upgrading to a Z490 Gaming X, you have NO CHOICE but to upgrade your CPU.
I've listed the Z490 Gaming X because I've read it's a good budget choice to go after. If you have any better suggestions, I'm all ears.

Also, what kind of CPU would I need to look for here? Got any picks?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's not that, it's that your CPU is 4th gen but thats a 10th gen board. And to use DDR4, you won't be able to keep your current CPU. So it's about what issues you are currently facing with your performance and then prioritising the right upgrade.

Solution

Delythien

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015

Okay, that narrows it down quite well.
I'm sure I want to put that DDR4 RAM I have to use, which would make it necessary for me to change my motherboard. Since I believe that Z490 Gaming X is a good choice, that would mean changing the CPU as well. I'm fairly certain I can get my hands on a GTX 1080 GPU, so that is not a problem. But now I have to look for a CPU that would fit well in this combination.

Got any CPU suggestions?

Delythien

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Depends what your budget is and what you need, you can choose from any of these:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490-GAMING-X-rev-10/support#support-cpu

It is also worth noting the 1080 is more built for higher than 60Hz @ 1080p in most cases. It does also mean it will guarantee hit your frame rates with your current monitor, just it won't really be fully utilised.
That's of great help, thanks. A friend of mine has a spare 1080 and a 1070 which he's willing to give me, that's why I'm content in using either. I'll further look into what's best for me, but otherwise thanks.

Reactions: PC Tailor