Is upgrading a HDD to an SSHD worth it?

souperzombie

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2015
Basically the majority of my storage, software, and games is on my 3tb Western Digital Black drive but it's getting full with both my games and my editing resources, and I'd like to know if upgrading to a 4tb SSHD would be worth it. Right now I've got my eyes on the 4tb Seagate SSHD. I'm not looking to put my OS on it because that's already on a SSD.
Thanks.

Solution
Yes, but. Hybrid drives do increase performance, but not as much as you might expect. My admittedly short experience is that it improves performance only so long as what you do does not flush out the cache. I've noticed that if you do things that cause the cache to be reloaded, that it just performs like a normal hard drive. I think Seagate would do themselves a favor if they upped the cache on the SSHD from 8G to 32G or more. I think the upgrade is worth the money, but it hasn't been the panacea that Seagate claims it is.

bono_john

Reputable
Jun 24, 2016
Yes, but. Hybrid drives do increase performance, but not as much as you might expect. My admittedly short experience is that it improves performance only so long as what you do does not flush out the cache. I've noticed that if you do things that cause the cache to be reloaded, that it just performs like a normal hard drive. I think Seagate would do themselves a favor if they upped the cache on the SSHD from 8G to 32G or more. I think the upgrade is worth the money, but it hasn't been the panacea that Seagate claims it is.

Solution