[SOLVED] Is upgrading an X99 mobo with 2011-3 socket a real-world option?

macphoto

Honorable
Dec 8, 2016
My 2014 build is showing its age.

-- Asus X99 Deluxe mobo
-- 6 core 5930K (2011-3 socket) @ 3.5 GHz
-- 32 GB (4 x 8) G-Skill Ripjaws Series DDR4-2400 CLS 15 RAM modules
-- Asus Radeon R9 280X GPU

I use it mainly for Lightroom and Photoshop. It's now really quite slow for serious work. I haven't got the bucks to upgrade all of the above but am wondering whether swapping out the CPU might buy me another year. I'm also wondering whether there's a marketplace for used CPU's. What I've seen on eBay is actually more expensive than a better contemporary CPU. My current Geekbench 4 scores are around 4200 (single core) 25K (multi-core).

I'd appreciate any strategies for dealing with this. Feel free to tell me I'm being unrealistic.

Thanks,

Max

Solution
You can put a socket 2011-3 Xeon in for far better performance. The 12 core 24 thread E5-2678 V3 is the value leader at the moment. I saw them on Ebay last night starting at $85. You can actually turn a profit selling your 5930K on Ebay and buying a Xeon with more cores (but lower clock speeds) that will be much better for A/V production. Check your mobo manual for compatible Xeons.

Two years ago I scored a 5960X with a slight tiny scratch in the top of the heatspreader for $300 and sold my 5930K for $260 on Ebay. $40 for two more cores was well worth it but looking back I should have went with a Xeon. I have the same mobo you do.

bobbybluz

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
You can put a socket 2011-3 Xeon in for far better performance. The 12 core 24 thread E5-2678 V3 is the value leader at the moment. I saw them on Ebay last night starting at $85. You can actually turn a profit selling your 5930K on Ebay and buying a Xeon with more cores (but lower clock speeds) that will be much better for A/V production. Check your mobo manual for compatible Xeons.

Two years ago I scored a 5960X with a slight tiny scratch in the top of the heatspreader for $300 and sold my 5930K for $260 on Ebay. $40 for two more cores was well worth it but looking back I should have went with a Xeon. I have the same mobo you do.

Reactions: macphoto
Solution

macphoto

Honorable
Dec 8, 2016
You can put a socket 2011-3 Xeon in for far better performance.
Thanks, this is the kind of out-of-the-box idea I'm looking for. One thing that has come up in my research is the way LR makes use of additional cores and hyper-threading. Some operations are improved by having more cores but other key ones don't seem to benefit much. And for the ones that don't, I may be taking a bit of a performance hit with the Xeon. The other thing is that LR uses the GPU for certain tasks. Recently, I've been updating metadata in catalogs with 40-50K images. According to the Task Manager, LR is only using (usually) between 15-50% of the CPU. I'm not seeing additional threads being created but I do see that the GPU is being used. If I'm reading the task manager correctly, only 3% of my GPU is being used. And yet it takes forever and a day to save metadata for 12K images. I need to figure out if upgrading the graphics card as well would make a difference.

I'm going to order the E5-2678 V3 as a first step and will report back with my results.