Is upgrading from an A8 7600 to an A10 7850k worth it if i have a GPU???

Jorge_acosta

Honorable
Jan 28, 2016
Hello, i have the following setup;

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-S1
APU: A8 7600
GPU: Radeon R9 270 reference
Memory: 16GB RAM (2x 8GB HyperX Savage at 2133 Mhz)
Storage: Intel ssd dc s3700 400GB
600W PSU

Maybe i should start by saying that i am fairly new to this whole gaming pc/build your own pc stuff... so bare with me here.

So i am thinking to upgrade my CPU, since i am starting to do some video editing, nothing to demanding, mostly family vacations, and fishing trip videos... but i am thinking that my processing power is lacking since when i put a lot of effects or try to speed up clips it gets all choppy in preview. When checking with task manager it shows my cpu usage to go to 100% when doing this kind of stuff.

So, I know that with that motherboard i am stuck with APUS, so my question is, can i expect a tangible boost in performance just upgrading my APU to an A10 7850k?? I was thinking it might be worth it since it has 8 CPU cores (my current APU only has 4 cpu cores). But when i check the comparisson in CPUboss it only shows a 0.2 advantage in their score.

I know that i could get a lot more performance if i just change my motherboard to a AM3+ socket one, and get a FX8320 but that would almost double the cost of my upgrade compared to just upgrading the APU.

So, what do you think?? Tangible cpu performance boost by upgrading to A10 7850k???

Solution

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

All APU's on FM2+ have no more than 4 CPU cores so ANY upgrade isn't going to be drastic.The Athlon X4 860K is the way to go on FM2+ if you don't need a integrated GPU as it is much cheaper over the A10 and performance the same. I would suggest you Overclock as well, I have taken these to 4.5ghz with a decent Air cooler fairly easy and that is nearly a 35% gain over a A8 7600.

The other issue here is the software you are using, is it making use of Multi core or is it primary sticking to 1-2 cores? If so you need to look at other Software or see if you have options to make use of more cores.

Solution

Jorge_acosta

Honorable
Jan 28, 2016

Hmm.. i didn't know about software not using all avaliable cores... I am currently using Cyberlink Power Director 14, since i bought it on a great price, and i am fairly familiar with the program now, how do i find out if it's using all my cores??

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Look at this chart.

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5599/14/intel-core-i7-5960x--5930k--5820k-haswell-e-review-8-cores-at-last-benchmarks-cyberlink-powerdirector

PD does have multi core support but even the best FM2+ chip struggles in 1080p decoding. You can see the difference between a A8 and A10 's/Athlon 860K. It's not much of a improvement over the length of a Sample, 20 seconds at best.

Things that can help..

1. Buying and Overclocking a 860K "$78"... to 4.2ghz and above this is a 10-15% gain
2. Using faster RAM or Overclocking your current RAM. 2133mhz is a good set for these CPU's and easily overclocked to 2400mhz if you have the option on your board. APU's will gain as much as 30% performance moving from 1600mhz to 2400mhz.
3. Using GPU acceleration, this is probably on by default and has to be toggled off on purpose.

Jorge_acosta

Honorable
Jan 28, 2016
Ok i get it... upgrading to a A10 won't helpme much... so i've decided to do the smar thing, and get a new motherboard. I will get a FX 8320e with my next paycheck, thank you all for your help