[SOLVED] Is upgrading from an A8 7600 to an A10 7850k worth it if i have a GPU???

Nov 2, 2018
Hello, i have the following setup;

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-S1
APU: A8 7600
GPU: Radeon R9 270 reference
Memory: 16GB RAM (2x 8GB HyperX Savage at 2133 Mhz)
Storage: Intel ssd dc s3700 400GB
600W PSU

Maybe i should start by saying that i am fairly new to this whole gaming pc/build your own pc stuff... so bare with me here.

So i am thinking to upgrade my CPU, since i am starting to do some video editing, nothing to demanding, mostly family vacations, and fishing trip videos... but i am thinking that my processing power is lacking since when i put a lot of effects or try to speed up clips it gets all choppy in preview. When checking with task manager it shows my cpu usage to go to 100% when doing this kind of stuff.

So, I know that with that motherboard i am stuck with APUS, so my question is, can i expect a tangible boost in performance just upgrading my APU to an A10 7850k?? I was thinking it might be worth it since it has 8 CPU cores (my current APU only has 4 cpu cores). But when i check the comparisson in CPUboss it only shows a 0.2 advantage in their score.

I know that i could get a lot more performance if i just change my motherboard to a AM3+ socket one, and get a FX8320 but that would almost double the cost of my upgrade compared to just upgrading the APU.

So, what do you think?? Tangible cpu performance boost by upgrading to A10 7850k???

Solution
Personally would stick until you can afford a total system upgrade to Ryzen/modern intel as the FX line isn’t good value but I do realise that is a new CPU, Board an RAM. But even the R3 and even Pentium lines far outstrip the FX line.

The best cpu for your board is a athlon 970k but in reality it's not a good upgrade and will barely increase your performance and just be wasted money really.

The a10-7850k has only 4 cores/4 threads-not sure where you got 8 cores from? It's still an upgrade but not a major one so you may be better off saving for a system revamp. If you are determined sticking with that platform the x4 860k is basically the a10 7850k with no integrated graphics so you'd probably find it cheaper.

Personally would stick until you can afford a total system upgrade to Ryzen/modern intel as the FX line isn’t good value but I do realise that is a new CPU, Board an RAM. But even the R3 and even Pentium lines far outstrip the FX line.

Solution
May 23, 2018
A8's and A10's are essentially the same cpus with upgrades on the GPU side of the chip and maybe slightly higher clock speeds. If you have the budget to upgrade your system, I highly recommend Ryzen 2nd gen as it will better utilize your gpu while also being great bang for buck. If you cant afford DDr4, i recommend you get a 6c/12t xeon or 2/3 gen i5 or i7 for much much faster single core performance at the cost of a cheap chip and $50-100 motherboard