Is upgrading my GPU only worth it with this system?

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
After 3 years of using my PC without major upgrades, I am planning to upgrade in the upcoming months. Currently I'm using a FX-8350 CPU in a Asus M5A97 Evo motherboard, 8 gigs of ram and a XFX R9-280X 3gb graphics card. I do gaming at 1080p and video editing. For the latter I wouldn't upgrade as it still does well enough for me, but some new games (especially shortly after release when they aren't patched yet) are starting to run too slow, especially as a 2K display is coming in shortly.

The opinions on the CPU I'm using seem to be extremely controversial, some people claiming it's still alright and it won't bottleneck more powerful graphics cards much, while others claiming it's really obsolete. I don't have any problems with the CPU as of now, but I'm looking at the GTX 1070 as a replacement for my 280X. I plan on upgrading my CPU next year, but for now I really don't have the budget for the upgrade to Intel or Ryzen. I also don't want to go 1060 as I want to buy a GPU which is going to perform well for at least 2-3 years.

So, the question is: will the 1070 bottleneck my 8350 too much, or will I actually see an improvement until I get Ryzen or Intel next year? Thanks in advance!

With a 2K(by which I hope you mean 1440p 16:9) monitor, the 1070 probably won't get bottlenecked all that much, especially at 60 Hz. The FX 8350 is obsolete, yes, but for an year more, it might just deliver you good enough performance. I'd suggest upgrading to the 1070 and to 1440p at the same time, or play at 1080p with VSync on(assuming it is also a 60 Hz monitor). Either way you'll probably get 60 FPS just fine. If, however, you want anything higher than that, something in the 75-144 Hz range, the CPU definitely needs an upgrade. But I'm guessing you'll be at 60 Hz right now(considering your CPU), and hopefully the 1440p you're planning on is also 60 Hz(because the 1070 isn't powerful enough for 1440p 144 Hz - you need a 1080 Ti for that). If that is the case, then you can keep the FX 8350 for now, but upgrade as soon as you can since FX is a dead platform now.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
ProgamerIV,

Here's a suggestion:

Try GTX1070 and a 1080p G-Sync monitor! (Refresh rate\ Hz of monitor is synchronized to FPS. ROCKS!)

Yes, a 1080p G-sync monitor is still $399, but no screen tearing and no lag associated with old v-sync, is awesome. Plus, any game that runs 40 to 50 FPS feels much smoother than without it.

And remember, with old v-sync halving would cause FPS drops of 30, 15, 7.5 FPS?! (that suked(s) big time.)

Going with just a vid card and G-sync like i suggest ^^ IS exactly wat i did. I started with a G-sync LCD; then later i got a better nVidia card; but u need an nVidia card to go G-sync so u need both at the same time. The G-sync LCD i got was November 2015, got my GTX1070-SLI vid cards July 2016, then because my system was six years old, i finally updated my CPU in September 2016.

Remember if u get a little bottle-necking, G-sync may make-up for most or much of it (it did a lot for me and i luved it, versus without it); because 30 to 40 FPS with G-sync runs as smooth as 60 FPS without G-sync.

GL :)

PS get a seasonic PSU too. ;)

he can't afford a new system and u ask him to buy a G-Sync monitor :eek:
i rather say it's much better to get a new build instead, as he already said that he also do some video editing there.
in my opinion: G-sync is cost too damn much, unless u have a deep pocket, i'll consider it as a luxury instead...

8350 is going to struggle to get the most out of the 1070.

With that said, it will still be better then a 1060 (or weaker) and you will still get good frames out of it at 1440p, certainly more then your 280x.
So you get a better card now, and when you do upgrade cpu/platform you can then tap into that last few percent the 8350 could not.

Bee-Dee has a good suggestion to use GSync to reduce any visual feel in bottlenecking.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't really need G-Sync, as said, it's a luxury. Nvidia cards use adaptive vsync. Normal vsync locks frames at the nearest level, 45, 30fps etc when frames drop below the sync cap (usually 60). Since this can happen several times a second in fast games, you get stutter. Adaptive vsync unlocks the vsync below the cap, locks it above the cap so reducing stutter below and tearing above 60Hz. G-Sync just goes beyond that and matches the screen refresh to vsync cap/fps. Almost eliminates stutter completely, yet the vsync still caps frames above to prevent tearing.

Not really of much use on a 60Hz monitor with a well balanced gpu, of more help with a 60Hz monitor with an underpowered gpu where minimum/maximum frames are dancing on that 60Hz

if you're going to play on 1080p@ultra@60hz, 1070 is way more than fine, even with the bottleneck, ur game will still run just fine
i've said it earlier that my friend had 1070 + FX 8320, it's a CPU weaker than urs, he's a builds the PC himself, so he knows and do research on some stuff too, and he doesn't seem to mind with the bottleneck since even though it happens, it doesn't hinder his gaming experience [he plays at 1080p@60] (unlike my old G850 + 1050ti which reduce almost 50% of the max FPS i could get, though i already upgrade to i5 2400 to diminish the bottleneck)

I'll said it beforehand though, yes, your FPS won't be ask high as others who use 1070 with proper system, but at 60hz, no, the bottleneck won't hinder your gaming performance.

PS: u can also OC your CPU to lessen up the bottleneck on the GPU

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Left this thread dead, sorry. Since then I never logged in to the forums.

Just for the record: I did get the 1070 back then and got a 2k 60hz monitor as suggested. It had some bottleneck in certain games but was fine until I upgraded to a Ryzen 1600 shortly after. Then I realized how bad it really was. FX really is not a good cpu anymore, so if anyone in 2020 still hesitates: just go for the upgrade.